Page 10 of 139 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast

Thread: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

Beans

Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

I think "grub-update" in the instructions should be "update-grub"? Or is that something else?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by emerick7 View Post
    @MAFoElffen: Any other suggestions for me to try?
    I had an idea... it was untested, but an idea none the less.

I was working working on how to roll back just the GDM (itself) from the commandline... I did it. That was a mistake and waste of time. Then I looked at implementing specific graphical services within the kernel... It got to specific as per what services got implemented (for certain chipsets).

After chasing ghost with that all day... Looks like there are many current gnome updates tonight to fix various things, so...

From the tty text console, you can get these updates and (others) via:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get upgrade
    And see if these gnome updates helped in any way...

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jfhopkin View Post
    I think "grub-update" in the instructions should be "update-grub"? Or is that something else?
    You are right. It is most likely my typo... But I need help to tell me where. I don't see that typo in the first three posts. Was is in a later post? (Which post # so I can correct...)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 4th, 2011 at 05:40 AM.

"Concurrent coexistence of Windows, Linux and UNIX..." || Ubuntu user # 33563, Linux user # 533637
    Sticky: Graphics Resolution | UbuntuForums 'system-info' Script | Posting Guidelines | Code Tags

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Just the same problem!!! any solution or idea, Gurubunteros thanks,
    Please make the 11.04 not to similar to windows, the first impressions are like Windows it's not working!!
    Thanyk for any update that works for all, and not only for the newst Hardware and for gurus..

Beans

Angry Re: Graphics Resolution- Upgrade /Blank Screen after reboot

I have a AMD-64 computer.
    nvidia (???)
    I have been working for a couple of years on Ubuntu (10.10 worked fine). I upgraded to 11, and then it seems to work, but it was very "jerky" and slow.
    Then something appeared somehow offering to upgrade something about my driver (It said "Recommended"). I did that.

When I rebooted, I could see some icons on the left and some things on the top of the screen, but the main screen was blank. I went to the top right and clicked where I thought restart should be and it worked and I could get out and sign in on my dual boot of Win 7, where I am now.

I need help ! ! !
    Gilles

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

(Duplicate Post)
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 5th, 2011 at 12:12 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by gilch View Post
    I have a AMD-64 computer.
    nvidia (???)
    I have been working for a couple of years on Ubuntu (10.10 worked fine). I upgraded to 11, and then it seems to work, but it was very "jerky" and slow.
    Then something appeared somehow offering to upgrade something about my driver (It said "Recommended"). I did that.

When I rebooted, I could see some icons on the left and some things on the top of the screen, but the main screen was blank. I went to the top right and clicked where I thought restart should be and it worked and I could get out and sign in on my dual boot of Win 7, where I am now.

I need help ! ! !
    Gilles
    A couple things you should try.

First, reboot.
    At the grub menu, select Ubuntu. >
    At the Login screen, select your username. >
    The password box will appear...
    At the same time, there will be startup options that appear in the bar at the bottom of the screen, halfway across will be a pull-down box that will allow you to select Ubuntu, Ubuntu "Classic." Ubuntu Classic without affects... etc.

Select the Classic. The classic is the old, familiar gnome desktop.

Select it > type in your password and go on. It will remember and stay at whatever you selected last as the option.

When you do that, it will start Ubuntu without Unity. We want to see if it will display your graphics in that desktop... Narrowing down what might be wrong.

I'll stop there to get some feedback on what happened , so I don't throw a lot of things at you at once and lose you.
    Last edited by MAFoElffen; May 5th, 2011 at 12:32 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

@gilch...

Seems that a few days ago there was an update to compiz where (depending when it updated) there might have been a probkem with dependencies in the package...
    Quote Originally Posted by John Vance View Post

Let me repeat that. A required dependency for Unity was NOT installed during the upgrade. There were compiz-plugins installed, but the compiz and compiz-gnome packages were not installed.

Installed compiz. Logged out, logged in to "Ubuntu" session, and there's Unity. If I'm feeling like wasting more time on this I will remove the Radeon card and see if the problem was just that compiz was missing.
    If one of the sessions I mentioned in the post previous works for you, you should be able to start up the Synaptic Package Manager > Search on "compiz" > Mark the package "compiz" for reinstallation > Apply/

That "may" fix your problem.

Beans

I did that, and I did get the familiar desktop, but only visible were the icons and text on top and bottom of the screen. Nothing showed in the big screen. It said there were updates available. I did ask for them, I could see them download as usual, but when it came to "Applying changes", that box stayed blank. It worked because after a while I got the message "System up to date". Then... back to Win7 where I am now.
    (Thanks for helping, by the way; I know, I can only eat Pablum, a little bit at a time).
    Gilles

Beans

I just thought that I would post for information purposes.

Clean install of Ubuntu 11.04 X86_64 in dual boot configuration with Windows 7 64 bit.

Toshiba Laptop L300D-10Q AMD 64X2 Dual Core TK-57, 4GB Ram, 500GB HD, ATI Raedon X1200 Graphics card.

Installation successful and I get Grub loading giving both the Ubuntu and Windows options and the Memtest86 option as well.

First observation of Grub screen the white text and the border seem blurred, this was not the case with Grub in Ubuntu 10.10 or earlier.

I select Ubuntu to boot, the screen goes blank and there is no hard disk activity, (note Windows 7 boots successfully). CTRL+ALT+F1 seems to activate Grub/hard disk and Ubuntu 11.04 loads the GDM, from here if I select Ubuntu Classic (no effects) I can successfully log into Ubuntu 11.04. Once in everything seems to work.

So far I have not been able to establish what the problem is, whether it is with Grub or with X.org or perhaps even a kernel module issue?

Obviously as Ubuntu 11.04 starts successfully after CTRL+ALT+F1 there does not seem to be anything in the log files of use. And the only error I see is one about:-
    radeon 0000:01:05.0: HDMI-A-1: EDID block 0 invalid. [drm:radeon_dvi_detect] *ERROR* HDMI-A-1: probed a monitor but no|invalid EDID [drm:drm_edid_block_valid] *ERROR* Raw EDID:
    which I have been getting since Ubuntu 9.10 or 10.04 and I don't know why as I have no HDMI device or port attached?

I have been looking at the thread, a lot of it is beyond me.

Page 10 of 139 FirstFirst ... 891011122060110 ... LastLast