Thread: Full Tar Backup restore on new system

Beans

Exclamation Full Tar Backup restore on new system

I am trying to migrate my server to a new sever I am doing a full backup of the file system using TAR as a backup of the root directory. I copy the tar file over to the new server and extract it, i can see all the files fine when navigating around. Once I reboot it comes up with a window saying - "Gave up waiting for root device. ALERT! /dev/mapper/dc-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!" I know its something with the mapper files not being mounted so i copied from the new system the fstab and the grub folder because i wanted it from the new server configuration so it would boot. I have been trying everything and i have to do this on a few more servers that have LVM's that i would like to make it a little more quicker of a process. I have searched around and i can't find any solution that worked. If anyone could direct me to the right path that would be very helpful. Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Full Tar Backup restore on new system

Quote Originally Posted by Understandmoe View Post
    I am trying to migrate my server to a new sever I am doing a full backup of the file system using TAR as a backup of the root directory. I copy the tar file over to the new server and extract it, i can see all the files fine when navigating around. Once I reboot it comes up with a window saying - "Gave up waiting for root device. ALERT! /dev/mapper/dc-root does not exist. Dropping to a shell!" I know its something with the mapper files not being mounted so i copied from the new system the fstab and the grub folder because i wanted it from the new server configuration so it would boot. I have been trying everything and i have to do this on a few more servers that have LVM's that i would like to make it a little more quicker of a process. I have searched around and i can't find any solution that worked. If anyone could direct me to the right path that would be very helpful. Thanks
    Seems you copied the whole tar'd file to the " / " ? is this correct? Do a full new clean o/s install on the new server. copy your tar single file to a mounted partition large enough to hold your tar single file backup. Then, do a selective untar of the files you need to migrate from the old server to the new server?
    Overclocked HPML150 running Precise Pangolin 12.04 LTS

Beans

Correct I extracted the tar from "/" and it puts all the files in there from what i see. The steps that i did to do this was I copied the tar file over to this clean installed O/S same version of Ubuntu 10.10. I restarted the server into recovery mode and ran the extract from there. When i reboot I get that message. On my tar backup i exclude /dev /proc /sys. Once i extract it it seems to work fine but it somehow loses the LVM mapper information.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Was the LVM volume on the destination server named dc-root before you copied over or was it named something else? When it drops you to a shell, can you see what's in "/dev/mapper/"?

Beans

the dc-root is not in the dev mapper folder, how do i go about remapping this so it will detect the LVM drive?