Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Slow USB mouse after upgrade to Natty.

Hybrid View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Slow USB mouse after upgrade to Natty.

I have a Dell Latitude E6410 that I just yesterday upgraded to Natty. Everything seemed to go fairly well, save for one issue. The USB mouse that I have plugged into it shows *A LOT* of lag between what I'm doing with it and what shows up on the screen. When using the integrated trackpad or thumbstick, everything seems okay. I've played around with the sensitivity and acceleration in the settings menu, which helped a little, but the mouse is still pretty "muddy".

This issue occurs with both Unity and GNOME.

I hate using the thumbstick because I'm always accidentally bumping it while I type, and the thumbstick and track pad are on the same bus, so you can't have one without the other. I'd love to figure out what's going on with this mouse so that I can disable the thumbstick once again.

Thanks in advance to any and all.

Cheers!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome Development Release

Re: Slow USB mouse after upgrade to Natty.

Hopefully it is not what I am thinking but wouldn't it be better to test your mouse with some other PC/OS. It might just be a co-incidence that mouse somehow went bad at the same time when you did the upgrade.

Or try some other mouse with Natty if possible.

Beans
    Distro

Well, now that you mention it, I did kind of notice that the mouse on my docking station seemed a bit "slow" as well after the upgrade. I won't be back in the office until Monday, so I'll have to pay attention when I get back. It will be more critical that this is working correctly then because the machine will be in clamshell operation and I won't have access to the track pad.

Beans
    Distro

Okay, so I've tried a couple of things: Modifying the pointer feedbacks (both via xset and xinput) and modifying the mouse polling rate by using the "mousepoll=" option when loading the usbhid kernel module. I've been able to make small improvements, but the performance is still noticeably worse than with the integrated track-pad / thumb-stick.

Still eager for any suggestions or other ideas.

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro

Well, gee. I rebooted into the older version of the kernel (2.6.35) and unplugged the secondary monitor from the laptop. Then the mouse was working properly. So I was ready to blame it on the kernel version. However, I've now rebooted into the "stock" natty kernel (2.6.38) and things are still fine. I'm starting to think that it actually has something more to do with the extra monitor being attached. I'll play around with it a little more and see if I can narrow it down.

All I can say for now is, after several reboots, everything seems to be fine.

Hmmmm.

Beans
    Distro

All right. Now I rebooted with the second monitor attached and everything is still okay. So I'm officially stumped.

I'm glad that the problem is fixed, but I sure wish I knew what fixed it.

Beans

Natty sucks and it is very slow .. I wish i stayed with maverick .. and now all my files and bookmarks and tiny whiny lil details is on this flash and i do not want to reinstall

Beans

I've been hoping for a solution to this problem for weeks now. I too am using a Dell E6510, but I'm using Linux Mint, so I've been hesitant to post a bug report myself. After about every 5th boot, the mouse will be choppy, slow, and laggy. Unplugging and replugging doesn't help, nor does moving to a different USB port. Sometimes it can take up to 3 reboots before the problem goes away.

There has to be a daemon or something that can be restarted to fix this, right?

Beans
    Hidden!

I see this issue as well. It happens intermittently at boot, and a reboot will usually sort it out.

Machine: Dell Latitude E6510
    Mouse: Microsoft Bluetooth Notebook Mouse 5000

The jerkiness only affects the external mouse; the internal touchpad and stick work smoothly.

Have had a dig through Launchpad and found a few similar-sounding bugs; the closest of these seems to be related to the Logitech MX900. I'm not sure it's quite the same issue.

Anyone know if there's a bug raised for the specific issue described in this thread? If not, I'll raise one.

Beans

I have the same problem on Dell Latitude E6510 with Ubuntu 11.04.
    I've found this bug, may it be related?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast