Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Main menu for Unity?

Beans

Question Main menu for Unity?

Is it possible to add a "main menu" like entry on the launcher, or the top bar?

I am really missing the possibility to see what programs are on my machine, and not have to search for them.
    I can't always remember these funky Linux program names.
    (Getting old...)

I guess that something like the Gnomenu would be fine too.

Beans

Re: Main menu for Unity?

The simple, and unfortunate, answer is no. It is indeed a shame that the menu is not a bit more user-friendly than it is and the utter lack of being able to customize it.
    Nothing beats the durability and quality of the Thinkpad put together with the brilliance and stability of Ubuntu Linux!

Thinkpad T30, T40, T41p, T42, T43, T60, T61, R50, R61, Z61M, X31 ... all love Ubuntu!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SirTrolle View Post
    Is it possible to add a "main menu" like entry on the launcher, or the top bar?

I am really missing the possibility to see what programs are on my machine, and not have to search for them.
    I can't always remember these funky Linux program names.
    (Getting old...)

I guess that something like the Gnomenu would be fine too.
    you don't have to remember the name, just use generic name like "editor", "web", "sound", "monitor", etc...
    chances are you won't even have to type out the whole word.

Beans

When I saw unity for the first time I had this problem but after working and more working I found my way to access to programs, any way I think unity is growing up and we will have a professional desktop in the future. For now we have a young unity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

selecting "classic" at the bottom of the screen on logon yields a pretty familiar screen. Right click the top bar and add to panel "menu bar". I switch between Unity and Classic depending on my mood. I use classic if I need to get something done and don't want to futz with Unity.

Beans

Hmmm

Perhaps I should try out KDE then.
    Sounds like the classic mode will disappear in the next version.

Just installed a new utility using the terminal, and cannot find it...
    Even took me a while to find the terminal, since I was looking for a console, and the only result presented by Unity, was to install the program Konsole...

I was looking forward to getting this new version, as I allways am, but this is getting ridiculous.

If I ever feel like having no options, I think I will by me an Apple product.

Beans

I just want to point out that you can do a sudo apt-get install xfce4 or something similar and have the option of using that instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

This was a big problem for me too.
    I ended up creating my own menus using zenity in scripts.

Here is my thread on the subject:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1706383
    Moderation in all things; including moderation.

ivanovnegro is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Perhaps I should try out KDE then.
    Sounds like the classic mode will disappear in the next version.

Just installed a new utility using the terminal, and cannot find it...
    Even took me a while to find the terminal, since I was looking for a console, and the only result presented by Unity, was to install the program Konsole...

I was looking forward to getting this new version, as I allways am, but this is getting ridiculous.

One word before you go to Apple, please try KDE, it is great, forget everything you heard about it before.

Beans

Re: Hmmm

I think that about sums up the story for me too. Though in reality I would never go for Apple ... it still makes sense to say that!
    Nothing beats the durability and quality of the Thinkpad put together with the brilliance and stability of Ubuntu Linux!

Thinkpad T30, T40, T41p, T42, T43, T60, T61, R50, R61, Z61M, X31 ... all love Ubuntu!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast