Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bios messed up completely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Bios messed up completely

Okay, this is a bit unrelated to Ubuntu, but it is about linux in general, and this seems like a well-educated forum, so I thought I'd post it here since no other forum could solve this problem or me.

I originally had just windows 7 on my desktop computer, but then a few months ago, I decided to get linux mint 10. Being as smart as I am, I put waaaay too much memory on that partition, and a week ago, I was out of memory on my windows partition.

So, I went and deleted the partition, deleted the free space, then put the unallocated space into the windows partition. So, it wasn't until yesterday that I actually had to reboot my computer, and when I did I got an error saying "error: no such partition." Then it gave me a sort of command line that says "grub rescue>" and that's it. There are no commands that work on it either.

So I downloaded Ubuntu and put it on a flash drive so I can boot from that and reinstall the GRUB stuff, but it still gave me the same screen (yes I chose boot from USB).

Then I tried to put my old windows xp recovery disk in, but when I tried to boot from that, the same thing happened.

And now I am completely clueless on how I can get my machine running again. I would prefer to keep all of my files and not have to delete everything, but if that's not possible, I understand.

P.S. Please remember while posting, that I have no access to any operating system, and even when I have a bootable disk or flash drive, my bios will not let me boot from it.
    Last edited by Artificial Intelligence; April 28th, 2011 at 04:11 AM.

Beans

Re: Bios messed up completely

So if you disconnect the drive (just the data cable if you wish) and try to boot from USB/CD, you still have issues?

Beans

Moved to Other OS/Distro Talk.
    elementary OS Luna
    My Screenshot

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by Temüjin View Post
    So if you disconnect the drive (just the data cable if you wish) and try to boot from USB/CD, you still have issues?
    Well, I just did that. It was successful in booting into the windows recovery disk, but all I got was the blue screen saying "Windows Setup" But then nothing else will com up. My best guess to why this is happening is that when I unplug the hard drive, there is nowhere windows can go.

Beans

And how about a livecd?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

And how about a livecd?
    An ubuntu one? Not sure. Can't make one, because my only other computer is a netbook without a cd drive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by acid_fall View Post
    Okay, this is a bit unrelated to Ubuntu, but it is about linux in general, and this seems like a well-educated forum, so I thought I'd post it here since no other forum could solve this problem or me.

I originally had just windows 7 on my desktop computer, but then a few months ago, I decided to get linux mint 10. Being as smart as I am, I put waaaay too much memory on that partition, and a week ago, I was out of memory on my windows partition.

So, I went and deleted the partition, deleted the free space, then put the unallocated space into the windows partition. So, it wasn't until yesterday that I actually had to reboot my computer, and when I did I got an error saying "error: no such partition." Then it gave me a sort of command line that says "grub rescue>" and that's it. There are no commands that work on it either.

So I downloaded Ubuntu and put it on a flash drive so I can boot from that and reinstall the GRUB stuff, but it still gave me the same screen (yes I chose boot from USB).

Then I tried to put my old windows xp recovery disk in, but when I tried to boot from that, the same thing happened.

And now I am completely clueless on how I can get my machine running again. I would prefer to keep all of my files and not have to delete everything, but if that's not possible, I understand.

P.S. Please remember while posting, that I have no access to any operating system, and even when I have a bootable disk or flash drive, my bios will not let me boot from it.
    I presume the way to get your boot grub record back is to have Ubuntu *installed* to a USB drive FROM a CD or USB drive. This means that the USB drive that you install Ubuntu on to will become your psuedo_bootable HD in real time (persistive). I would suggest that you remove the hdd cable first.

After you have INSTALLED Ubuntu do not update yet!! (You can use an 8GB USB flash drive to install Ubuntu onto). After this is all done turn off your PC and then reconnect your HDD cable .. etc and make sure to BOOT from the installed Ubuntu USB. Then do an update. The updater will search for partitons and append them to the new GRUB boot record.. but I would think that you could only then boot from your Ubuntu USB install.

I had the same probs with Natty - loosing my boot-record- so I would just wait a few days until the next linux-kernel update, do the update and , voila' ,instant GRUB boot record with lost partitions.
    Last edited by ventrical; April 28th, 2011 at 05:16 PM. Reason: sp

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by acid_fall View Post
    An ubuntu one? Not sure. Can't make one, because my only other computer is a netbook without a cd drive.
    Make a bootable USB stick: http:/help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    I presume the way to get your boot grub record back is to have Ubuntu *installed* to a USB drive FROM a CD or USB drive. This means that the USB drive that you install Ubuntu on to will become your psuedo_bootable HD in real time (persistive). I would suggest that you remove the hdd cable first.

After you have INSTALLED Ubuntu do not update yet!! (You can use an 8GB USB flash drive to install Ubuntu onto). After this is all done turn off your PC and then reconnect your HDD cable .. etc and make sure to BOOT from the installed Ubuntu USB. Then do an update. The updater will search for partitons and append them to the new GRUB boot record.. but I would think that you could only then boot from your Ubuntu USB install.

I had the same probs with Natty - loosing my boot-record- so I would just wait a few days until the next linux-kernel update, do the update and , voila' ,instant GRUB boot record with lost partitions.
    How do I install it to the flash drive?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Make a bootable USB stick: http:/help.ubuntu.com/community/Installation/FromUSBStick
    I already have the bootable usb stick, but it say the same error as the windows recovery disk...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast