Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: NVIDIA-CURRENT driver activated but not in use???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: NVIDIA-CURRENT driver activated but not in use???

Same issue.

10.10 > 11.04 is my worst upgrade since 8.04. This amongst 3 other major issues.

I haven't even tried to use unity yet, still using gnome classic and having major flickering issues.

Last edited by winchendonsprings; May 6th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 1Nyco1 View Post
    How come?

This problem with nvidia video drivers is plaguing everyone who upgraded to 11.04 I've tried deleting & reinstalling both drivers (in sequence) to no avail. I can get my programs to appear in 1360X768 resolution, but not in any other. I've scanned dozens of posts on Ubuntuforums & other sites about this. No solutions are working, but a bug report has been filed (Medium importance!). There are several extremely complicated recipes posted. None work and most result in other functional problems. And it's affected several other popular graphics chips.
    Hey, I'm not a programmer. I've used Ubuntu for two years and loved it. I've recommended it to many of my friends & colleagues. I deeply resent Cannonical releasing a major upgrade with a serious flaw. There are thousands of Ubuntu users who cannot use their computers because of this highly touted "upgrade". GET IT FIXED! Linux/Ubuntu's reputation for device driver problems will be further degraded the longer this goes on. If you want to gain user base with casual Windows users this is NOT the way to do it.
    Not sure the rant is appropriate. Ubuntu's 6 monthly releases are not as stable as their LTS releases. The normal releases are more like the Debian unstable branch. No warranty! If you are looking for absolute stable system, then use 10.04 LTS.

I too am affected by this bug. If Ubuntu were to cause such a mess in a LTS release, I too would have been very upset. But for now, its ok! Unity is a big leap and a strong change of direction. Though lacking in features and stability, its good to show desire for change and risk. That is precisely why Ubuntu is where it is today. The most popular Linux distro!
    Desktop config: AMD A8-3870k, Asrock A75m-itx, 8 Gb DDR3 1866 RAM, 2x64 GB Micron C400 SSD in RAID0

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by vishnumrao View Post
    Not sure the rant is appropriate. Ubuntu's 6 monthly releases are not as stable as their LTS releases. The normal releases are more like the Debian unstable branch. No warranty! If you are looking for absolute stable system, then use 10.04 LTS.

I too am affected by this bug. If Ubuntu were to cause such a mess in a LTS release, I too would have been very upset. But for now, its ok! Unity is a big leap and a strong change of direction. Though lacking in features and stability, its good to show desire for change and risk. That is precisely why Ubuntu is where it is today. The most popular Linux distro!
    The specific differences between a LTS release and the regular 6 month releases escape the casual user. Cannonical itself and through the online reviews over the last 6 months have touted 11.04 and its Unity interface as the Next Step. The Beta reviews were glowing and nowhere did I read cautions about 11.04 being incomplete or inappropriate for everyday use. My rant was in the frustration of 11.04 making my computer unusable. I have since calmed down, a little. I see by your hardware list that you probably have the same Nvidia driver problem as me. Since you are a more experienced user have you come up with any solution/workaround? I've managed to get 1920X680 screen resolution, but in a short while my Unity sidebar icons and the top banner become unreadable. When do you see a solution forthcoming and how will it be made known?

Beans

Hi, I have a related problem so can anyone please advise what graphics card/s will work with 11.04?
    I am having problems with my geforce 7300le using the 270.41.06 driver, the cursor works but nothing on screen works i.e. the icons in the side bar do nothing if you double click them. I have searched the forums and lots of people appear to have similar problems but sadly there are no real answers yet. So I want to look at changing my graphics card to resolve the problem.

Thanks
    Rod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by 1Nyco1 View Post
    When do you see a solution forthcoming and how will it be made known?
    You can follow the bug report here. Make sure that you mark it as effecting you. It will help them know it is widespread and needs to be fixed ASAP.
    |

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by polka123 View Post
    Hi, I have a related problem so can anyone please advise what graphics card/s will work with 11.04?
    I am having problems with my geforce 7300le using the 270.41.06 driver, the cursor works but nothing on screen works i.e. the icons in the side bar do nothing if you double click them. I have searched the forums and lots of people appear to have similar problems but sadly there are no real answers yet. So I want to look at changing my graphics card to resolve the problem.

Thanks
    Rod

I installed Ubuntu 11.04 for a friend of mine. It had a onboard graphics ( 4200 series) on the MSI 880G-E45 motherboard. Unity works like a charm. I think AMD's opensource drivers and their proprietary drivers have matured quite a bit. Since you ask what graphics cards work with 11.04, I suggest you definitely try an AMD/ATI card!
    Desktop config: AMD A8-3870k, Asrock A75m-itx, 8 Gb DDR3 1866 RAM, 2x64 GB Micron C400 SSD in RAID0

Beans

Thanks a lot Vishnu I will give that a try.

Rod

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Having the same problem. Tried the /etc/default/grub fix, but to no avail

Beans

Question Re: NVIDIA-CURRENT driver activated but not in use???

I'm having similar problem with 11.04, nvidia-current drivers and GT 525M card. I've tried several solutions, modifying GRUB, installing experimental nvidia drivers, and re-installing kernel headers, so far nothing has helped. With every unsuccessful attempt I'm more convinced that this is general problem with nvidia drivers. Surprisingly Unity works just fine when I launch Ubuntu 11.04 from live CD. Does somebody know why it's working just fine when running from CD, but not from installed system????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I have this problem as well no unity driver showing installed but not in use or something like that.I installed the nouveau Gallium3D driver then unity showed up the driver is fast but the launcher has no icons on it so now i am going to install the driver i downloaded from nvidia's website the only problem is it is a run file and i don't know how to install it so if anybody has done this could you help me and if this didn't help let me know so i don't try to do this.

Thank you

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast