Thread: Apple Magic Trackpad fully working with Natty?

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Apple Magic Trackpad fully working with Natty?

I purchased a Magic Trackpad for my PC which runs Maverick. I couldn't get it to work well enough to keep using it with Maverick. Is it working well with Natty now?

When I a Magic Trackpad on my iMac, I customize a lot of the settings using the BetterTouchTool app. I need to be able to customize it on Ubuntu, so I'm not looking for just a bare bones level of functioning. I believe that existed in Maverick. I want to know if the Magic Trackpad is fairly fully featured on Natty now. Has anyone tried it? Thanks.

EDIT: anyone tried TouchEgg? Maybe that's what I need...
    https://code.google.com/p/touchegg/
    Last edited by MountainX; April 29th, 2011 at 04:38 AM.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod

Beans

Re: Apple Magic Trackpad fully working with Natty?

Yes, TouchEgg works fine with Maverick. It has the definitely the most freedom in configuring which gestures do what from the tools I tried so far but its not perfect either. The configuration is fairly easy.

I successfully configured it to trigger exposé, desktop switch with 4 finger swipes, middle click with three finger tap, back and forth in chrome with two-finger swipe and so on. What doesn't work for me is tap and hold for dragging stuff around.

Also the gesture recognition is not perfect. For example, if you initiate a two finger scroll up you have to release your fingers from the pad first in order to scroll down. It basically locks on the first gesture it recognizes and continues doing that on any finger movement until you release your fingers from the pad. But I kinda appreciate this behavior now, cuz on large websites you can just keep scrolling up without having to do the "release fingers, go down, begin scrolling up"-loop all the time.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to natty just yet. I did it today and though unity comes with some neat window dragging with three-finger-swipe it broke basically everything else and TouchEgg doesn't work anymore. I still haven't figured out how to fix that.

MountainX is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Apple Magic Trackpad fully working with Natty?

Quote Originally Posted by w4n View Post
    Yes, TouchEgg works fine with Maverick. It has the definitely the most freedom in configuring which gestures do what from the tools I tried so far but its not perfect either. The configuration is fairly easy.

I successfully configured it to trigger exposé, desktop switch with 4 finger swipes, middle click with three finger tap, back and forth in chrome with two-finger swipe and so on. What doesn't work for me is tap and hold for dragging stuff around.

Also the gesture recognition is not perfect. For example, if you initiate a two finger scroll up you have to release your fingers from the pad first in order to scroll down. It basically locks on the first gesture it recognizes and continues doing that on any finger movement until you release your fingers from the pad. But I kinda appreciate this behavior now, cuz on large websites you can just keep scrolling up without having to do the "release fingers, go down, begin scrolling up"-loop all the time.

I wouldn't recommend upgrading to natty just yet. I did it today and though unity comes with some neat window dragging with three-finger-swipe it broke basically everything else and TouchEgg doesn't work anymore. I still haven't figured out how to fix that.
    Thanks for your great report.

Regarding Natty, that's good feedback too. Maverick is working great for me now that I installed the Natty backport kernel. I'll stick with this. For the issues I was dealing with, Maverick + Natty kernel is the best of both worlds.

It's a funny thing about the Unity changes. I have an iMac and after using it for most of a year I decided I liked Ubuntu better than OS X. The exact things I did not like in OS X are the things they are bringing into Unity! I especially do not like the application menus in the top menu on the screen. I don't see the advantage and for me it means the menu is further from the window where I'm working so I have to move the mouse further and it slows me down. I have two 23" monitors and sometimes the distance is quite far. Also, with multiple application windows open, quick work gets impeded even more. I guess I'll be sticking with KDE in the future, which is not really a bad option.
    Desktop: KX Studio (Kubuntu 12.04)
    Laptop & Netbook: Kubuntu 12.04
    Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1
    Phone: Nexus 4 Cyanogenmod