Thread: Wireless Card Driver

Beans

Wireless Card Driver

First off, I own a MacbookPro8,1. To the best of my knowledge, it includes a Broadcom 4331 wireless card, or as it is listed, 14e4:4331. If anything else would be of use to you, I'd be glad to run a few commands for you!

I can't find anything at all on the web that is helpful or leads me in any direction. Everything seems to end at "there is no driver as of now." I'm guessing that the hardware is too new for support?

Is there any possible solutions? This is currently the limiting factor of Ubuntu being my every day operating system. If not, how long do you think it will be before this driver is released/developed?

Anyone else in the same boat?

Thanks!

Beans

Red face Re: Wireless Card Driver

I have the same issue. I need to swap over and use my new Ubuntu 11.4 with Unity desktop for my work as my old Acer notebook is running out of muscle. I have dual Win7 and Ubuntu 10.4 on the Acer and now have a MBP 8-2 dual booting with Ubuntu 11.4. No problem with installation and I didn't need to use any partitioning software at all - just put the live CD in and booted to it. Followed the instructions on the install screen and let that (Ubuntu) partition the drive and all is working well. ... well nearly ALL!

I have the following problems.

1: Touchpad only partly working. It 1 finger moves the mouse around and one finger click select. Two finger scrolling works but no ther macpad functions are working with it. No biggie though, I use a USB mouse and keyboard with it.

2: The big BIGGGGG problem is I have no wireless connection. I must have a lan cable plugged in to get internet access. I also can not figure out how to join my home network so I can swap files between all my computers.

I have looked everywhere I can find on google for a solution to get the wireless working but nothing works so far. I have a broadcom modem and the lan (wired) card shows up but no wireless shows up in Ubuntu. I am desperately trying to find a solution to get Ubuntu to recognize there IS a wireless device in the machine and let me use it!

If anyone can shed some light on this I would be eternally grateful and I bet there would be heaps of other users out there with the same/similar problem.