Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Acer Aspire 5336 Ubuntu (11.04) black screen/brightness fix

Hybrid View

Beans

Acer Aspire 5336 Ubuntu (11.04) black screen/brightness fix

This fixed a black screen issue and a brightness adjustment issue after installation of ubuntu. Also on 11.04 I couldn't get Unity to work until I edited grub I didn't come up with the fix but it took me forever to find a solution so I figured I would post it. If I have did something wrong just get a mod to delete or move this. I don't use forums often.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Edit two lines to read as follows: 

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

sudo update-grub

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 5336 Ubuntu (11.04) black screen/brightness fix

Thanks for this, it sorted it for me. The function buttons are reversed but I can live with it!

Beans

Either I did it wrong or it didn't work for me. I think I probably did it wrong.

Could you rewrite those instructions with any and all details.

I assume that was not all done in the terminal window?

Thanks,

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Chris2243 View Post
    Thanks for this, it sorted it for me. The function buttons are reversed but I can live with it!
    I have an acer aspire 7715 and had the same problem, I upgraded the bios and it went away, the reversed brightness buttons I meen, still waiting for a fix to that backlight issue, however the workaround in the first post allowed me to atleast turn on the light myself.

Beans

My screen was waayyy to white.

NOw i can see better.

I love you.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by the_crayon_king View Post
    This fixed a black screen issue and a brightness adjustment issue after installation of ubuntu. Also on 11.04 I couldn't get Unity to work until I edited grub I didn't come up with the fix but it took me forever to find a solution so I figured I would post it. If I have did something wrong just get a mod to delete or move this. I don't use forums often.
    Code:

sudo update-grub

Doesn't work for me idk wtf I'm doing lol
    Acer Aspire 5734Z

Beans

Angry Re: Acer Aspire 5336 Ubuntu (11.04) black screen/brightness fix

Code:

sudo update-grub

Doesn't work for me idk wtf I'm doing wrong lol
    I updated from 10.04 lts to 11.04 I can still see that my screen works just no backliht. I'm on it now using a flashlight to see what i'm doing
    Acer Aspire 5734Z

Beans

Code:

sudo update-grub
    Thank you. This solve brightness problem at Acer Aspire 3935, Ubuntu 12

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does not work on Acer Aspire 5732Z.
    Thanks

Beans

Hi this is what I did

I had this issue with 12.10 and 13.04 when you first boot the disk get into the grub boot menu and press F6 and select nomodeset. You will be able to install fine no problems and boot up from drive with no problems but the resolution will be out and it will run slow so to fix this you go into grub sudo gedit /etc/default/grub then change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor" then change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux" make sure you use a cap L in Linux. You need to delete nomodeset from the grub script that will sort out the resolution and the slowness but not the back light. After you have done all this press save and exit back to the terminal and run sudo update-grub so it is set up for the next time you boot. enter sudo gedit /etc/rc.local (you might have to be root for this) then between does nothing and end 0 add setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00

This has completely cured it for me I don't have to do anything to it now and it took me 2 days to sort out, running brilliantly with no issues. Just to add you might have read to start it with acpi=off don't as it will disable your WiFi!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast