Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Acer Aspire 5336 Ubuntu (11.04) black screen/brightness fix

Beans

Re: Acer Aspire 5336 Ubuntu (11.04) black screen/brightness fix

It almost works on my eMachines E725
    Or it works, until I connect an external monitor to the notebook.

Then the external monitor starts to work, and the notebook backlight is turned off again. Off course if I run the script again, the blacklight is back, but how I could I run it automatically, after an external monitor is attached to it?

Please note that it is also a problem, if the external monitor is plugged in during the startup. The login screen is sort of fine (the notebook is using the resolution of the external monitor for some reason), but after the login the notebook screen goes dark again.

Any idea?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks the_crayon_king, this worked with my Acer Aspire 5736z.

Buttons reversed but a million miles better than what it was!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by the_crayon_king View Post
    This fixed a black screen issue and a brightness adjustment issue after installation of ubuntu. Also on 11.04 I couldn't get Unity to work until I edited grub I didn't come up with the fix but it took me forever to find a solution so I figured I would post it. If I have did something wrong just get a mod to delete or move this. I don't use forums often.
    Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/default/grub

Edit two lines to read as follows: 

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor"
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux"

sudo update-grub

Doesn't work for me idk wtf I'm doing lol
    Acer Aspire 5734Z

Beans

Angry Re: Acer Aspire 5336 Ubuntu (11.04) black screen/brightness fix

This fixed a black screen issue and a brightness adjustment issue after installation of ubuntu. Also on 11.04 I couldn't get Unity to work until I edited grub I didn't come up with the fix but it took me forever to find a solution so I figured I would post it. If I have did something wrong just get a mod to delete or move this. I don't use forums often.
    Code:

sudo update-grub

Doesn't work for me idk wtf I'm doing wrong lol
    I updated from 10.04 lts to 11.04 I can still see that my screen works just no backliht. I'm on it now using a flashlight to see what i'm doing
    Acer Aspire 5734Z

Beans

I just purchased an Acer Aspire 5733z and found that although the function keys for brightness were recognized, the brightness setting was not changed.

FTR, I installed Linux Mint 12 which is Ubuntu-based.

the update-grub fix worked for me. Thought I would add my 2c for the sake of googlers everywhere. here's the relevant info for my HW:

--

00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Core Processor Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)

--
    # lsmod | grep ^i915
    i915 566711 3

--

good luck!

Beans

Thanks a lot, crayon king!
    The brightness had been completely unadjustable, but this fix worked flawlessly.
    Using Linux Mint 12 on an Acer 5755G.

Beans

Smile Re: Acer Aspire 5336 Ubuntu (11.04) black screen/brightness fix

Omg, it works!

(On Ubuntu 12.04 @ Acer Traverlmate 8372G)

Thank you crayon_king!

Beans

Code:

sudo update-grub
    Thank you. This solve brightness problem at Acer Aspire 3935, Ubuntu 12

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Does not work on Acer Aspire 5732Z.
    Thanks

Beans

Hi this is what I did

I had this issue with 12.10 and 13.04 when you first boot the disk get into the grub boot menu and press F6 and select nomodeset. You will be able to install fine no problems and boot up from drive with no problems but the resolution will be out and it will run slow so to fix this you go into grub sudo gedit /etc/default/grub then change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet splash acpi_backlight=vendor" then change GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="" to GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX="acpi_osi=Linux" make sure you use a cap L in Linux. You need to delete nomodeset from the grub script that will sort out the resolution and the slowness but not the back light. After you have done all this press save and exit back to the terminal and run sudo update-grub so it is set up for the next time you boot. enter sudo gedit /etc/rc.local (you might have to be root for this) then between does nothing and end 0 add setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=00

This has completely cured it for me I don't have to do anything to it now and it took me 2 days to sort out, running brilliantly with no issues. Just to add you might have read to start it with acpi=off don't as it will disable your WiFi!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12