Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 11.04 White Menu Flickering

Beans

Re: 11.04 White Menu Flickering

Quote Originally Posted by mixim View Post
    Wasn't like this in Gnome, so probably related to Unity and not Compiz... Definately takes away from any premium feel that Canonical is setting out to achieve =/.. Apple or MS wouldn't allow something like this (Don't hate , just sayin!).
    I agree. I don't care for too much eye-candy, but I do like the OS to look nice (which 11.04 does, in my opinion). But having little glitches and bugs like the white-flickering when changing menus definitely throws things off a little bit.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Anyone seen an update for this? It looks horrible. I can't believe the default theme has this issue on such a scale. I have natty installed on 4 machines and it does the same thing on all of them. They use both nvidia and ati graphics cards. It certainly doesn't make the OS unusable, but it's just distracting and looks terrible.
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by cerealcypher View Post
    anyone seen an update for this? It looks horrible. [....] it certainly doesn't make the os unusable, but it's just distracting and looks terrible.
    +1

Please add report to the bug here so it gets more attention from dev's!
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/687567

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Still no update on the bug report. I did find a temp fix though... well something that looks "better". Just go into Compiz > Animations and change the menu for both open and close to "none". There's no animation now, but at least there's no white flash. Looks better imo.
    We have no Great War, no Great Depression. Our Great War is a Spiritual War. Our Great Depression is our lives. - Tyler Durden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have the same problem. It is such a relief to know that a problem I am having is easily replicated.

My only theory, and I'm not a programmer, is that these animations' backdrop is white and not transparent.

Beans
    Distro

Has anyone heard anything new? I apparently don't have the problem anymore.

Beans
    Distro

i figured it out. yet i'm no programmer.

it seems that the flicker is the animation choosing the color of the "Windows - Background" color from your theme current theme. the color it should be matching is what "Controls" color scheme you may have selected.

the way to recreate this is to change the "Windows - Background" color in your Appearance Settings with the animation setting in Compiz active and you'll see that it grabs that color.

being a bit new, i'm not sure what the next step is going to be.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12