Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

[HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

NEW!!! This guide isn't going to be updated anymore, as there is gNatty, and I've switched to Lubuntu. The reason? GDM kept crashing and issues kept coming up that reduced the overall functionality of my own computer.

The PPA seems like it changes slightly to where things may break, if something does break, try to run:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session
    again, as it looks like a lot of the time gnome-shell and gnome-session aren't being installed.

FIX for issue opening certain applications (like games)

Do the following in terminal:

Code:
    echo "PATH=\"/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/games\"" | tee -a ~/.profile
    Logout and log back in and that should fix the issue. NOTE: You have to do this for each user that logs into the system if they can't access games or that.

FIX for .ICEauthority issue!
    There's another method besides this one, and it involves just installing the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session
    This works!

Installing Gnome 3.0
    Let's start by installing Gnome 3.0, NOTE THIS WILL REMOVE UNITY AND MAKE IT TO WHERE YOU CANNOT INSTALL UNITY!!! The only way to get Unity back is to remove the PPA and run a dist-upgrade on the system. (See further down)

Open a terminal and type in the following commands (do this by going to your applications area and searching for terminal):

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell gnome-session
    sudo apt-get -f install
    sudo apt-get install gnome-shell
    sudo apt-get install gnome-session
    NEW - The above has changed as issues occurred and didn't install gnome-shell

Before we reboot, we do need to do a few more things to make sure it's running correctly, keep reading.

Issues with strange themes
    You may have a strange theme and want the default Gnome 3 theme, here's what you need to do, now where we didn't reboot above (or if you did and are at the weird theme'ed gnome 3, open a terminal and follow along), in the terminal type in:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove gnome-accessibility-themes
    sudo apt-get install gnome-themes-standard
    sudo apt-get install -f
    Some users have reported needing to run sudo apt-get install -f due to failure to install some packages. If that doesn't work, go ahead and post and we'll see if we can help you out.

Now let's restart. For those of you having the common graphical glitch, this issue is caused by the gnome-accessibility-themes and by not having the gnome standard themes. Once you reboot you should be at the fresh interface of Gnome 3.

Needs some tweaking! Window buttons, different themes, etc.
    Unfortunately, there's not a lot you can change initially, but we'll need to install another tool to help tweak some items, open a terminal again and install the following:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install gnome-tweak-tool
    Open the gnome-tweak-tool by pressing ALT+F2 and typing in:
    Code:
    gnome-tweak-tool
    then press Enter. Here we can change a few basic settings. Go under interface to change the Gtk+ Theme. If you find you don't like something, just change it back.

To apply the changes, either log out and log back in or press ALT+F2 and type in just r and press Enter, which will refresh the Window Manager.

If you want your regular buttons on the right hand side for the windows do the following, press ALT+F2 and type in:
    Code:
    gconf-editor
    Press Enter and navigate to:
    Code:
    /desktop/gnome/shell/windows
    Change the button_layout to:
    Code:
    :minimize,maximize,close
    After you do that, you do need to press ALT+F2, type r, press enter, and it'll fix that.

Flickering, GAHHHHHHHH
    If you have flickering, tearing, etc. of the windows and HAVE installed the graphics drivers, you need to remove them. Unfortunately with some chipsets you will experience tearing with the graphic drivers - ATI for example.

Other stuff?
    I'll update this guide as much as I can as I know there's a lot of questions about Gnome 3 and how to configure this or that or change settings. Try stuff out, experiment with the greatest DE in the world!

How do I get Evolution 3.0
    So as a lot of you know, the Gnome 3.0 PPA above DOES NOT include Evolution 3.0, well here's a simple way of getting it from another PPA. So open the terminal again and type in the following:

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:danilo/evolution
    sudo apt-get update
    It is a SLOW PPA so give it time. When that's done, just restart Evolution for the 3.0 goodness. The menu's are a lot better than 2.32, and fitted for smaller screen resolutions.

Tips & Tricks! I want to have fun!
    Ok let's get out some tips and tricks, have 2 separate windows open on one application, like 2 separate firefox windows (not tabs) and press ALT+TAB and while holding down ALT press Tab until you get to the firefox icon and press the down arrow key. Voila! You see all the separate windows in Live Previews.

Press the Super key (windows logo key) then start typing in the name of an application. Voila! You don't need the mouse to get to your apps.

What else... hmmm... click on the circle with the little person in it, there's a way to find some accessibility settings.

Click at the top where it says todays date and time, it pops down a cool calendar that integrates with Evolution 3.0

Click on the application name in the top left, it has a quit menu so if you can't figure out how to quit an app or close a window, you can do it that way.

If you get stuck in a window that has no close button, try pressing the escape key.

When someone sends you an im, you can click on it at the bottom middle and reply if using Empathy.

If you press the activities button and go to the bottom right-hand side you should see a list of your current tray icons such as empathy chats. In the activities menu if you get an IM you can reply to it there.

I want my Unity back!

On page 9, [M4570D0N] stated that the following should work.

To remove Gnome 3 and reinstall Unity, do the following in a terminal:

Code:
    sudo ppa-purge ppa:gnome3-team/gnome3
    sudo apt-get update
    I have not tested this personally, but it sounds like it works. So let me know if it doesn't and I'll remove this section.

If you have any more let me know. I know I haven't added who gave what fixes for what, but I'll try to update that here. If you added something and don't see your alias, PM me.
    Last edited by slooksterpsv; June 5th, 2011 at 09:55 PM.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans

Re: [HOWTO] Fix common Gnome 3 install issues in 11.04

Man this is awesome!! Thanks!! You fixed all the issues I was having.

Beans

Something else to consider. Gnome 3 in Ubuntu isn't feature complete, it's missing a lot of base Gnome 3 stuff that you'll see in SuSE and Fedora. Nothing *huge* but there is stuff missing, so it might seem "bare" in places. I know this is why I reluctantly moved over to Fedora for the time being. A lot of the fixes listed here are for problems unique to the unfinished Gnome 3 PPA for Ubuntu, not Gnome 3 itself. Great thread though.

Beans

Great post.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by morgue View Post
    Great post.
    Yeah, this one should be made a sticky post !
    I don't know how posts are made sticky though. Perhaps it has to be communicated to an admin on this forum.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate 20.04 Focal Fossa

Quote Originally Posted by lucasart View Post
    Yeah, this one should be made a sticky post !
    I don't know how posts are made sticky though. Perhaps it has to be communicated to an admin on this forum.
    Probably, I think if there's lots of questions on the subject (same questions) and you let an admin know they stick it? I dunno, need an admin to direct me on info on how to sticky items I must've missed it when going through the rules.
    MBA M1 - M1 8GB 256GB - macOS Monterey
    MSI GL65 - i5-10300H 16GB 512GB GTX 1650 Windows 11
    Galaxy Book Go - Snapdragon 7c Gen 2 4GB 128GB Windows 11

Beans

Most excellent - Unity gone ! - For good on my machines .
    Ubuntu forum members said "If I am unhappy with Unity there are many other options " True - I changed to another Distro - problem solved !
    I found I need neither Unity nor Ubuntu !

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Visceral Monkey View Post
    Something else to consider. Gnome 3 in Ubuntu isn't feature complete, it's missing a lot of base Gnome 3 stuff that you'll see in SuSE and Fedora. Nothing *huge* but there is stuff missing, so it might seem "bare" in places. I know this is why I reluctantly moved over to Fedora for the time being. A lot of the fixes listed here are for problems unique to the unfinished Gnome 3 PPA for Ubuntu, not Gnome 3 itself. Great thread though.
    I have one question related to these missing functions. How in Gnome 3 can I access the old Ubuntu System Preferences and Adminisatrtion menus? When upgrading to Natty, it broke my keyboard layout and I can't find how to access the keyboard layout GUI settings.

Beans
    Hidden!

Another thing to consider: HOWTOs usually go in Tutorials and Tips. (Don't forget to read the sticky)
    Forum DOs and DON'Ts
    Please use CODE tags
    Including your email address in a post is not recommended
    My Blog

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by neopium View Post
    I have one question related to these missing functions. How in Gnome 3 can I access the old Ubuntu System Preferences and Adminisatrtion menus? When upgrading to Natty, it broke my keyboard layout and I can't find how to access the keyboard layout GUI settings.
    A picture is worth 1,000 words.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast