Thread: No window decorations after upgrade to 11.04

Hybrid View

Beans

No window decorations after upgrade to 11.04

I upgraded to 11.04 this morning, and I just flat out have zero window decorations which is a serious problem. This pretty much means that where windows happen to spawn is where they're stuck as I cannot move them ( aside from chrome which has its own I believe. )

This happens in Unity and Gnome-panel, fluxbox remains unaffected. I've completely removed, reinstalled unity and compiz several times now. That's not the problem. I've tried pointing the window decorator to /usr/bin/gtk-window-decorator but I might as well be shouting at a wall for all thats doing.

running unity --reset is have zero results as well.

If it matters at all my video card is an ATI HD Radeon 4650, and yes I've uninstalled the proprietary driver and reinstalled it ( I get the same results with the open source driver ). Also if it makes any difference I'm running 64 bit.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No window decorations after upgrade to 11.04

Please user the Ubuntu Software Center and install:

Compiz Window Decoration Library

The window decoration library is responsible for drawing the window borders and title bar of windows managed by Compiz. It is used by window decorators like gtk-window-decorator and kde-window-decorator.

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans

Searching for it in software center yields no results, however I can find it via synaptic in which cases its already installed. A complete removal and reinstall again gives no change

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Wickk View Post
    Searching for it in software center yields no results, however I can find it via synaptic in which cases its already installed. A complete removal and reinstall again gives no change
    Well darn - it was SUCH a good idea, too.

I am tapped out on this - perhaps others will know the secret?

The 'pondering' Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans

Have you accidentally installed a preview of Natty +1? After merging window decorations into the top panel this release, the next logical step in the quest for 'minimum screen real estate' must be to get rid of them completely? I'm waiting for Natty +2 where they get rid of the windows too

Now to try help...

Is the CompizConfig Settings Manager installed by default? Hit the Ubuntu button type in 'Compiz' and it should come up. If not install it from the Software Centre. Run it (Ubuntu button -> 'Compiz' -> click it) then in the panel that comes up scroll down and find 'Window Decoration' under 'Effects'. Is the plugin activated? It should be.

Hope this helps
    Last edited by mafitzpatrick; April 28th, 2011 at 10:05 PM.
    Linux/Android how to's and Q&A at root.abl.es

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mafitzpatrick View Post
    Have you accidentally installed a preview of Natty +1? After merging window decorations into the top panel this release, the next logical step in the quest for 'minimum screen real estate' must be to get rid of them completely? I'm waiting for Natty +2 where they get rid of the windows too

Now to try help...

Is the CompizConfig Settings Manager installed by default? Hit the Ubuntu button type in 'Compiz' and it should come up. If not install it from the Software Centre. Run it (Ubuntu button -> 'Compiz' -> click it) then in the panel that comes up scroll down and find 'Window Decoration' under 'Effects'. Is the plugin activated? It should be.

Hope this helps
    Yeah CCSM is installed, and the Window Decoration plugin is activated.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1 View Post
    Well darn - it was SUCH a good idea, too.
    I even got myself all excited!