Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: No window decorations after upgrade to 11.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Arrow Re: No window decorations after upgrade to 11.04

FIXED MINE!!

I just resolved this issue on my laptop, I'll share here and hope it works for anyone left watching the thread:

I was using Emerald themes before the upgrade, some people were saying their themes weren't working and they were told that Unity didn't fully support Emerald, or xml themes yet... so I thought stop using Emerald with unity for now.

1/ Open teminal
    2/ Type: cd ~/.config/compiz
    3/ Type: gedit compiz-manager
    4/ Make sure it only says - USE_EMERALD="no"
    5/ Save the file, and log off, and on again!

And I got my close restore and minimize buttons back, it looks nice again!

Hope this helps someone!

Hmmm... I think I may know this one Herbert.

Beans

Re: No window decorations after upgrade to 11.04

Quote Originally Posted by MugOTea View Post
    FIXED MINE!!

I just resolved this issue on my laptop, I'll share here and hope it works for anyone left watching the thread:

I was using Emerald themes before the upgrade, some people were saying their themes weren't working and they were told that Unity didn't fully support Emerald, or xml themes yet... so I thought stop using Emerald with unity for now.

1/ Open teminal
    2/ Type: cd ~/.config/compiz
    3/ Type: gedit compiz-manager
    4/ Make sure it only says - USE_EMERALD="no"
    5/ Save the file, and log off, and on again!

And I got my close restore and minimize buttons back, it looks nice again!

Hope this helps someone!

I don't have a "compiz" directory under .config, only a compiz-1, and then a directory underneath that called compizconfig. Creating a file called compiz-manager underneath compiz-1 did nothing.

I'm having to boot into Ubuntu Classic (no effects) as a workaround right now.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bponder View Post
    I don't have a "compiz" directory under .config, only a compiz-1, and then a directory underneath that called compizconfig. Creating a file called compiz-manager underneath compiz-1 did nothing.

I'm having to boot into Ubuntu Classic (no effects) as a workaround right now.
    Me neither.

What did work for me:
    1. Open up a terminal ( if you can't do so, right click on the desktop, click "create launcher", name:"terminal", command "gnome-terminal", then hit "OK" and use the newly created shortcut on your desktop)
    2. In the terminal type and run "compiz --replace"

This loaded the sidebar and the made window decorations work. Once Unity loads, one can make this a bit more of a permanent solution by:
    1. clicking on the Ubuntu Icon at the top left
    2. Searching for "settings"
    3. Choosing "system settings"
    4. Clicking on "startup applications"
    5. Clicking "add"
    6. Name: anything you want. Maybe "unity fix"
    7. Command: "compiz --replace"

Hopefully this helps someone!

Beans

Tore my hair out over the Compiz settings and learned a bunch. I had this same problem along with several others.

Problem is Unity will stop drawing or the Windows decorations will stop drawing almost any time you change settings in Unity or whenever there is a conflict with Unity.

Almost all will redraw if you relog, except the Windows decorations.

Before you try a radical fix, go into the CompizConfiguration Settings Manager (CCSM) and just disable and re-enable the Windows decoration. If you don't get the Max/min/close border trim back right away (I did) try relog then.

Recently got all my CCSM effects working in Unity with the help or this site offered to us on another thread about Natty and Compiz :

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/compiz-cube-natty/

The GUI option to fix the cube by disabling the auto manage plugins in CCSM/Preferences (read the article) may help with Windows decoration as well.

In general:
    1) Expect nasty, loss of menu bars and unity disappearing when you make big changes in CCSM.
    2) Be patient. When you make a CCSM change, wait 5 seconds or so to enable a change. Toggling something on and off quickly will give you a false negative when you troubleshoot.
    3) Click the top right corner of the screen, even if you cannot see the unity top menu bar. Under the shutdown options, you will see a systems settings option that opens a control center with all preference and administration apps
    4) If you lose the whole GUI with nothing but the desktop, plug in a flashdrive and open the mounted folder, then navigate back to file system\\usr\share\applications and reopen the CompizConfig Settings Manager from there.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123