Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Upgraded to 11.04 Natty narwhal - Ethernet No Longer Connects...

Beans

Re: Upgraded to 11.04 Natty narwhal - Ethernet No Longer Connects...

Okay, I tried this fix which was listed, and the window opened to the Network Manager, I changed the value from false to true, saved it and checked to see that it was saved correctly, restarted the computer, but still no connection.

Any other possible options?

Timothy

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Question Re: Upgraded to 11.04 Natty narwhal - Ethernet No Longer Connects...

So let's wrap it up.
    You don't see your wired Ethernet interface?
    What do you see from the output of "ifconfig"?
    Are you able to access the local addresses in your IP subnet?
    Are you able to ping your own IP address?

Beans
    Distro
    Edubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Thank you. I had the same problem on a Dell 1720. At first install, the wired was working but the wireless was not. The restricted driver for broadcom BCM4311- was activated. Then after some googling I downloaded bcmwl5.inf and installed it using ndiswrapper. Then I deactivated the restricted driver and used your solution. Now both cards work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Quote Originally Posted by nroussi View Post
    Thank you. I had the same problem on a Dell 1720. At first install, the wired was working but the wireless was not. The restricted driver for broadcom BCM4311- was activated. Then after some googling I downloaded bcmwl5.inf and installed it using ndiswrapper. Then I deactivated the restricted driver and used your solution. Now both cards work.
    I installed the recommended kernel from kernel.org via kernelcheck to see if it would cure the slowness I am experiencing with natty. Now the network is unreachable. I can't even ping the router after dropping back to the default natty kernel. It is not a hardware problem because I can reach the network via booting a CD live session, so something must be wrong with the modules. Is there a networking module I have to load?

I will try changing network manager setting as suggest after a reboot.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Post Re: Upgraded to 11.04 Natty narwhal - Ethernet No Longer Connects...

There shouldn't be any networking module you need to load. It should be in the kernel as far as I know. That's one of the main differences with Windows. In the Linux kernel you should have all the initial modules and drivers....

Beans
    Distro

I have to start network manually with pon-dsl-provider.

I checked sysv and there could be a problem with the runlevel, have now set to recommended default of 2 through 5.

UPDATE: No go, changing the run-levels does nothing. I've filed a bug
    Last edited by afrodeity; May 6th, 2011 at 11:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I had a similar problem. It would connect to ethernet if connected directly to the router but not via ethernet to mains (powerline adapters - http://www.belkin.com/uk/IWCatProduc...duct_Id=496178) which worked without any problems on 10.10.

Restarting the networking fixed the problem..
    sudo /etc/init.d/networking restart

Cheers,

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

btw: I also recommend if applicable to your environment that you set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and restart nm (/etc/init.d/network-manager restart) as mentioned earlier in this thread. This allows the NetworkManager to handle interfaces that are enabled in /etc/network/interfaces. See http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by vanlindholm View Post
    btw: I also recommend if applicable to your environment that you set managed=true in /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf and restart nm (/etc/init.d/network-manager restart) as mentioned earlier in this thread. This allows the NetworkManager to handle interfaces that are enabled in /etc/network/interfaces. See http://wiki.debian.org/NetworkManager
    Neither fix works for me, I'm afraid. Setting managed=true and restarting the networking fail to solve the problem. I fear this has something to do with the ethernet module. I think I am going to try unloading and reloading the module to test it.

Beans

Angry Re: Upgraded to 11.04 Natty narwhal - Ethernet No Longer Connects...

Hi friends,

Did a fresh install of Ubuntu 11.04 on my Dell Inspiron 1520. [Broadcom Card/model: BCM4401 PCI.ID: 14e4:170c] Neither ethernet nor wifi. STA driver can not be installed due to an error. Installed b43 driver but to no use.

Also tried the following unsuccessfully:

Quote Originally Posted by zanginator View Post
    PHP Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf 
    instead of Gedit you can use what ever editor you like

Find a section with the title [ifupdown]
    and there should straight under it be a line saying

managed=false

Just change false to true, save, restart and hopefully it should be working

[ifupdown] maybe renamed something else on your system (i don't know) but its the last part of the document.
    Interestingly, every time when I try to activate STA drivers from 'Additional Drivers' a message appears that 'eth0' has been disconnected. It will connect to 'eth0' afterwards. But the shut-down button in system tray would go red to inform 'restart to complete update'.

Any idea guys? What's happening?

Thanks for reading thus far.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast