Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: No 3d effects, no unity, no compiz after upgrading to Natty

Beans

Re: No 3d effects, no unity, no compiz after upgrading to Natty

Old trick is if Compiz doesnt work with your card, turn on the Metacity compositing engine. Cool effects without a heavy resource load.

Beans

For a while it looked like it might be solved so I guess that's why. Btw. do all affected with this bug have NVIDIA cards? I guess that the master poster has ATI, but he reported, that he gets some X Error after glxinfo, which works fine for me, although I saw, that I don't have direct rendering enabled. Will also look into this. Are those two issues maybe same bug or are two completely different bugs?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    Old trick is if Compiz doesnt work with your card, turn on the Metacity compositing engine. Cool effects without a heavy resource load.
    Well main problem is, that for most of us Compiz worked before without a glitch (for me on this computer since several years ago). Although, where do you get cool effects for metacity?

P.S. I loaded glx module and now I have direct rendering, but still no difference.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slartius View Post
    For a while it looked like it might be solved so I guess that's why. Btw. do all affected with this bug have NVIDIA cards? I guess that the master poster has ATI, but he reported, that he gets some X Error after glxinfo, which works fine for me, although I saw, that I don't have direct rendering enabled. Will also look into this. Are those two issues maybe same bug or are two completely different bugs?
    I experienced same issue with ATI mobility radeon HD 5000.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Just ran:
    /usr/lib/nux/unity_support_test -p

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
    OpenGL renderer string: GeForce Go 7300/PCI/SSE2
    OpenGL version string: 2.1.2 NVIDIA 173.14.30

Not software rendered: yes
    Not blacklisted: no
    GLX fbconfig: yes
    GLX texture from pixmap: yes
    GL npot or rect textures: yes
    GL vertex program: yes
    GL fragment program: yes
    GL vertex buffer object: yes
    GL framebuffer object: yes
    GL version is 1.4+: yes

Unity supported: no

Now why would a GeForce Go 7300 be blacklisted? It can run Total War and Crysis so I think unity should be ok.
    www.RyuKent.co.uk - Linux | Android | Technology | Japanese

Beans
    Hidden!

Talking Re: No 3d effects, no unity, no compiz after upgrading to Natty

hi guys, i think i found the solution to this issue.

i just solved it installing the appropriate version ov nvidia drivers for my card (nvidia geforce7200 the driver version suggested was the 173.xx) instead of the recommended version automatically installed by natty.
    to do it:

-open administration -> proprietary drivers
    -then you should see a grey light with a version of nvidia proprietary drivers and a number, and another one with the green light.
    activate the grey one and reboot.
    hope this works for you all!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pescez View Post

i just solved it installing the appropriate version ov nvidia drivers for my card (nvidia geforce7200 the driver version suggested was the 173.xx) instead of the recommended version automatically installed by natty.
    to do it:

-then you should see a grey light with a version of nvidia proprietary drivers and a number, and another one with the green light.
    Well I tried it before, but didn't work for me. I tried it again now on a fresh install, but it is almost the same for me, except that indirect rendering is working, meaning that it does not freeze the X. I still have to reload window manager manually (I have to start fusion icon and from menu select Reload window manager). And moving the windows arround still does not work. And i have GeForce Go 7300.

Beans

Open up gconf-editor, applications, go to Metacity and where you see the box for compositing engine, enable it. Its not a replacement for Compiz but if nothing else will work with your computer it will at least make docks, like AWN, Cairo and Docky that require a compositing engine to look presentable.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pescez View Post

to do it:

Quote Originally Posted by NormanFLinux View Post
    Open up gconf-editor, applications, go to Metacity and where you see the box for compositing engine, enable it. Its not a replacement for Compiz but if nothing else will work with your computer it will at least make docks, like AWN, Cairo and Docky that require a compositing engine to look presentable.
    Thanx, I will try it.

I also noticed, that the compiz is actually not starting when I log in and I have to manually start it every time I log in. So the workaround that works for me is, that I added among startup applications the fusion icon, which in turn can start selected window manager. I can now normally log in and out with the 3D effects probably working OK. The problem is, that I still can't grab the window and move it around (Alt+F7 also does not work). Any suggestions how to remedy that?

NVIDA question: Does the recommended driver work for everyone? I have to use the older driver for direct rendering.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I have an ATI Radeon Mobility X1400 on a Dell E1505. The ATI proprietary driver doesn't work with this chip anymore, but Compiz has worked very well with the open source driver for years. I have no option to install proprietary drivers and really want my Compiz back. What to do?

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast