Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: No 3d effects, no unity, no compiz after upgrading to Natty

Beans

Angry No 3d effects, no unity, no compiz after upgrading to Natty

Hi. I've upgraded to 11.04, but something must have been gone really bad.

After rebooting, the first message i've been shown was: "Your hardware doesn't support Unity". First strange thing: Unity was working perfectly on all the Beta live versions I've tried before the upgrade.

Well, not a big problem, I didn't really like Unity. Let's stay with Gnome + Compiz, I said.. but Compiz effects don't work anymore. When I try to do System --> Preferences --> Appearance, the "effects" tab doesn't show anymore. The file named "screenshot1.png" will show you this problem, even if it's in Italian: there are only the Theme (tema), Background (sfondo) and Fonts (Tipo di carattere) tabs. Also look to the strange, fuzzy right corner of the themes previews. This didn't happen on 10.10.

3d rendering should be working, since I get
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: Yes
    But nothing works.

System->Administration->Hardware is empty, but it has always been empty, even on 10.10 (but Compiz effects were working).

When I try to set Compiz as windows manager in Compiz Fusion Icon, sometimes the title of the windows disappear, along with the minimize, maximize and close buttons. Do you think there's something I can do to fix all these things?

Please, help me! Thank you in advance!

P.S. My video card is the following one:

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ubuntu 11.04... not a great idea!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No 3d effects, no unity, no compiz after upgrading to Natty

Please run system settings:

And under the 'Hardware' section select the 'additional drivers' to find the ATI drivers for your GPU.

Once the new video driver is loaded, you should be able to run Compiz effects and Unity, too. Natty Info: Your UI options

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1 View Post
    Please run system settings:

[IMG][/IMG]

And under the 'Hardware' section select the 'additional drivers' to find the ATI drivers for your GPU.

Once the new video driver is loaded, you should be able to run Compiz effects and Unity, too. Natty Info: Your UI options

The Hedge

Hi Hedgehog1. First of all, thank you for your help, but my additional drivers windows is empty (look at the screenshot attached)! It was empty also when I had 10.10, but the Compiz effects were there, working! Thanks.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Perhaps try the ATI website for updated video drivers.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by VanR View Post
    Perhaps try the ATI website for updated video drivers.
    I've tried, but I got the problem that you can find here too. I'll try with fglrx.

Anyway, I've tried to install 11.04 from scratch, instead that upgrading 10.10. On that installation, everything works fine.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Ginosal View Post
    Hi. I've upgraded to 11.04, but something must have been gone really bad.

After rebooting, the first message i've been shown was: "Your hardware doesn't support Unity". First strange thing: Unity was working perfectly on all the Beta live versions I've tried before the upgrade.

Well, not a big problem, I didn't really like Unity. Let's stay with Gnome + Compiz, I said.. but Compiz effects don't work anymore. When I try to do System --> Preferences --> Appearance, the "effects" tab doesn't show anymore. The file named "screenshot1.png" will show you this problem, even if it's in Italian: there are only the Theme (tema), Background (sfondo) and Fonts (Tipo di carattere) tabs. Also look to the strange, fuzzy right corner of the themes previews. This didn't happen on 10.10.

3d rendering should be working, since I get
    Code:
    glxinfo | grep rendering
    direct rendering: Yes
    But nothing works.

System->Administration->Hardware is empty, but it has always been empty, even on 10.10 (but Compiz effects were working).

When I try to set Compiz as windows manager in Compiz Fusion Icon, sometimes the title of the windows disappear, along with the minimize, maximize and close buttons. Do you think there's something I can do to fix all these things?

Please, help me! Thank you in advance!

P.S. My video card is the following one:

Code:
    lspci | grep VGA
    01:05.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RS690 [Radeon X1200 Series]
    I have same problem after my dist-upgrade, but using NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 card with proprietary drivers (status says: active but not in use). I am unable to get the 3D effects working or even the compiz starting. Well, I have managed to get at least a glimpse of effects after manually launching fusion-icon, but the graphical part of system froze, so gdm restart was required. Does anybody have a clue at what might be wrong? The effects were working without a glitch in 10.10.

And also starting "System settings" crashes my desktop, if there is any connection.
    Last edited by Slartius; April 29th, 2011 at 03:42 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Slartius View Post
    I have same problem after my dist-upgrade, but using NVIDIA GeForce Go 7300 card with proprietary drivers (status says: active but not in use). I am unable to get the 3D effects working or even the compiz starting. Well, I have managed to get at least a glimpse of effects after manually launching fusion-icon, but the graphical part of system froze, so gdm restart was required. Does anybody have a clue at what might be wrong? The effects were working without a glitch in 10.10.

And also starting "System settings" crashes my desktop, if there is any connection.
    I'm getting this but my card is a 7400. Got Unity to work installing unity-2d, then loading Unity 2d session, logging off and started the Ubuntu session. Still can't get Compiz to work (can't use emerald either but guess this is because Compiz isn't running properly)

Beans

I have exactly the same problem.

Beans

Smile Re: No 3d effects, no unity, no compiz after upgrading to Natty

I had exactly the same problem. My graphics card is an Nvidia 9400GT. The driver was showing as installed under Hardware Drivers. All I did was use synaptic to install Unity and Unity-2D and then restart X with a quick ctrl-alt-backspace and all went well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xyphias View Post
    I had exactly the same problem. My graphics card is an Nvidia 9400GT. The driver was showing as installed under Hardware Drivers. All I did was use synaptic to install Unity and Unity-2D and then restart X with a quick ctrl-alt-backspace and all went well.
    The strange thing is that everything works fine if I install 11.04 from scratch. I find these issues only in the upgraded ubuntu install.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast