Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 32-bit or 64-bit for my Netbook (2GB of RAM)?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Question 32-bit or 64-bit for my Netbook (2GB of RAM)?

I an going to do a fresh install of the new Xubuntu on my netbook, and I am wondering what will be better for my netbook, the 32-bit or the 64-bit version?

My netbook has the Intel Atom N450, 2GB of RAM, and a 60GB SSD. I know the netbook can run the 64-bit version, I am just wondering if it is worth it not having 4+ GB of RAM.
    Do you folks like coffee?

Beans

Re: 32-bit or 64-bit for my Netbook (2GB of RAM)?

2GB is the minimum in my opinion for you to not notice the extra RAM usage and gain some speedup from the CPU. On the other hand, I am not sure how Atoms work, it may be that you get no speedup at all.

I personally would have kept 32-bit on this machine.

Quote Originally Posted by BrokenKingpin View Post
    I an going to do a fresh install of the new Xubuntu on my netbook, and I am wondering what will be better for my netbook, the 32-bit or the 64-bit version?

My netbook has the Intel Atom N450, 2GB of RAM, and a 60GB SSD. I know the netbook can run the 64-bit version, I am just wondering if it is worth it not having 4+ GB of RAM.
    32bit. The binaries are a little thinner, and use less memory. In addition, with the Atom you probably wouldn't see much of a performance gain (though I could be wrong there). If your netbook had 4GB of memory or more, you'd want to consider 64bit.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If your machine is capable of running 64-bit then use it. 2GB of RAM is plenty for Ubuntu, the marginally larger memory footprint of 64-bit won't be noticed at all.

Why throttle your chip down to 32-bit? Running it 64-bit will save battery by not maxing your CPU out for so long on computationally intensive stuff (which on a netbook without a decent graphics chipset is a lot)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Paqman View Post
    If your machine is capable of running 64-bit then use it.

This 100%.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

If your machine is capable of running 64-bit then use it. 2GB of RAM is plenty for Ubuntu, the marginally larger memory footprint of 64-bit won't be noticed at all.

Why throttle your chip down to 32-bit? Running it 64-bit will save battery by not maxing your CPU out for so long on computationally intensive stuff (which on a netbook without a decent graphics chipset is a lot)
    I fully agree with this.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Oh wow, didn't know (some) Atoms even had integrated GPUs integrated into the chip die. But how would the CPU being 32 or 64 bit effect the GPU? Doesn't that just mean it's on the die it's self but is otherwise it's own self contained unit?
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by NMFTM View Post
    Oh wow, didn't know (some) Atoms even had integrated GPUs integrated into the chip die. But how would the CPU being 32 or 64 bit effect the GPU? Doesn't that just mean it's on the die it's self but is otherwise it's own self contained unit?
    I just mean that without a decent GPU, your CPU is going to be doing a lot of work rendering video. A 64-bit chip will do this a lot better than a 32-bit one, so won't have to work so hard.

I just mean that without a decent GPU, your CPU is going to be doing a lot of work rendering video. A 64-bit chip will do this a lot better than a 32-bit one, so won't have to work so hard.
    Only if the code has been specifically optimized for 64 bit (data types, pointers, etc).

Unlikely. You also didn't take into account the impact that these larger memory allocations would have on things like cache.

There is generally no visible improvement on battery life between 64 bit and 32 bit Linux.
    Last edited by fuduntu; April 28th, 2011 at 08:17 PM.
    [ Fuduntu.org ] - [ Fuduntu Forum ] - [ Fuduntu Blog ] - [ Fuduntu Wiki ]

For a classic desktop with the latest apps, get Fuduntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I misread your original post. I saw "with" where you actually said "without". Now it all makes sense.
    The only thing I know for certain is that I know nothing at all, for certain.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast