Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Autohide the top panel in unity?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Autohide the top panel in unity?

Is this possible? If so where, I can't find any place to do it... Why have you disabled this?

I also wonder why weather is no longer available under the calendar.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Autohide the top panel in unity?

Who's "you"? = ) But no, it's not an available option. The top panel contains elements of the active window, like the menu and, for maximized windows, the window controls, so it wouldn't make much sense to hide it.
    I know I shouldn't use tildes for decoration, but they always make me feel at home~

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Denieru View Post
    Is this possible? If so where, I can't find any place to do it... Why have you disabled this?

I also wonder why weather is no longer available under the calendar.
    As far as I know, you can`t hide it, only make it transparent using ccsm package (compiz configuration) on unity->experimental plugin.

The weather indicator has been removed, but I remember to have read something about a weather-indicator package, or similar (sorry, I'm on XP now).
    Indifference Kills

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

unity is still in development, so if you want to see something, ask for it. Maybe you could suggest for that option to be implemented in the future.

Like: "option to autohide panel when no window is maximized."

or something like that. for maximized windows would not make sense to hide it, since the new integration.

but for now at least you can make it transparent, which is nice.

as for weather, you might want to check here:
    http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/?s=weather
    Last edited by madjr; April 28th, 2011 at 03:56 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro

Hi!

Have you tried;

Right clicking on the panel?

KegHead

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KegHead View Post
    Hi!

Have you tried;

KegHead
    thats only for classic gnome, not for unity
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by KegHead View Post
    Hi!

Have you tried;

KegHead
    Uhh have YOU tried right-clicking on the Unity panel.........

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Copper Bezel View Post
    Who's "you"? = ) But no, it's not an available option. The top panel contains elements of the active window, like the menu and, for maximized windows, the window controls, so it wouldn't make much sense to hide it.
    I think it does, if I want to close, minimize or access the menu of a program I'd just bring the panel up, otherwise I'd have it hidden.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Cool Re: Autohide the top panel in unity?

Quote Originally Posted by Denieru View Post
    I think it does, if I want to close, minimize or access the menu of a program I'd just bring the panel up, otherwise I'd have it hidden.
    I agree. Ubuntu is getting further and further away from choice. Choice was one of the things that drew me to ubuntu and linux in general. If i wanted a fixed desktop i could use windows, ya know what i'm saying?

There is nothing wrong with adding new features and making changes, but the choice should always remain. We lose choice when it comes to the entire top panel because somebody thought it was a good idea to merge it with the title bar? Thats a regression in usability for more of us in reality. Whats so special about this feature? Without being able to autohide all it does is take up space which could be better used on a small netbook. Before, i could use that top panel for shortcuts, applets, whatever i wanted, and set it to autohide so when not needed it was safely tucked away until next time it was.

I was very close to ditching ubuntu this time around after upgrading. The wireless on my netbook is broken AGAIN. The fix is committed but for now i'm tethered. I have seen some improvement in this release but honestly, with the direction ubuntu is taking it may be time to move on to another distro. In a few months time we may have no need for these modern day teraphim anyway.
    Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Elohim and the belief of Yahushua.

Beans

Arrow Re: Autohide the top panel in unity?

Guys - the solution is extremely simple: Logut and login again, but choose "Ubuntu Classic" as the login option. You'll get the Gnome2 environment you're used to from Ubuntu 10.

I was willing to give the new default in 11.04 a try, since I always try to use the defaults, so that I see what most people see (I explicitly do NOT want to be different), but unfortunately it is unusable, and I DID give it a thorough try and was willing to change my ways. The subject discussed here nailed it for me, of my mere 800 lines on the laptop monitor I don't want to loose any to something so useless. The guy who said "it does not make sense" really does not make sense himself, sorry to say - when the cursor moves there it is there.

Oh and because of a really §%$(&/%$§"§$ forum administration and/or implementation I just had to go through many unsuccessful login attempts (even though I had just registered with yet another account and I KNEW what password I used there, and no typo either), and in the end had to create a THIRD account here.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast