Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Autohide the top panel in unity?

Beans

Re: Autohide the top panel in unity?

guy's you know the ultimate solution
    move away from ubuntu to a dirivative coz ubuntu just want to attract NETBOOK USERS

unity is EXPERIMENTAL
    unity is a work in progress
    unity wont work with dual monitors

yea ok we can loginto classic but how long will this be maintained
    how long until classic is unsable due to major conflicts & erros because everything is designed to work with unity/netbooks
    If everything in life was easy, we would learn nothing!!
    AMD Athlon64 X2(4200)/6Gb/Nvidia 9400GT-1Gb/1.25Tb Arch Linux - Xfce

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by honecker View Post
    Guys - the solution is extremely simple: Logut and login again, but choose "Ubuntu Classic" as the login option. You'll get the Gnome2 environment you're used to from Ubuntu 10.

I was willing to give the new default in 11.04 a try, since I always try to use the defaults, so that I see what most people see (I explicitly do NOT want to be different), but unfortunately it is unusable, and I DID give it a thorough try and was willing to change my ways. The subject discussed here nailed it for me, of my mere 800 lines on the laptop monitor I don't want to loose any to something so useless. The guy who said "it does not make sense" really does not make sense himself, sorry to say - when the cursor moves there it is there.

Oh and because of a really §%$(&/%$§"§$ forum administration and/or implementation I just had to go through many unsuccessful login attempts (even though I had just registered with yet another account and I KNEW what password I used there, and no typo either), and in the end had to create a THIRD account here.
    The classic ubuntu from the drop down menu is only going to be there temporarily from everything i've read. 11.10 will not have this option so you better get in line with unity or find another distro in the meantime.
    Here is the endurance of the set-apart ones, here are those guarding the commands of Elohim and the belief of Yahushua.

Beans

Oh wow, that's going to drive me nuts if I can't kill that panel. Monitors these days are 10 miles wide and 2 inches tall, so having a strip of essentially wasted horizontal space is a crime against humanity.

Beans

there should ALWAYS be an option to autohide any panel/dock.

canonical should have instead used this approach, global menu + window applets http://www.webupd8.org/2010/12/windo...-released.html which i use on my pinguy os and is abso****inglutely lovely.

there are options aplenty already included in window applets, and hey, it's open source; canonical is free to use and redistribute it... isn't that just wonderful??
    Last edited by teklife; May 13th, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by teklife View Post
    there should ALWAYS be an option to autohide any panel/dock.

canonical should have instead used this approach, global menu + window applets http://www.webupd8.org/2010/12/windo...-released.html which i use on my pinguy os and is abso****inglutely lovely.

there are options aplenty already included in window applets, and hey, it's open source; canonical is free to use and redistribute it... isn't that just wonderful??
    gnome2 is dead (because of gnome3), why cant people just let it go already?
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans

I find this extremely annoying, even counterproductive. I still have the top panel because it has various useful things, like clock, calendar, network icon, shut down icon, etc. which don’t appear to be available in the unity side bar.

However it is quite often the case that a window will get "stuck" underneath the top panel. Meaning it is impossible to access the menu of that app, or resize it or move it around (OK, yes you can use keyboard shortcuts for some things, but that is not the point). Not all apps add their menus to the top panel, some keep their own menus and these apps can become unusable.

In a related issue, it used to be possible to right click on the top panel to configure it - add or remove applets from it. That functionality also seems to be missing now. So in fact there is no way to configure the panel any longer. Even if I wanted to remove it, I cannot. That combined with apparent lack of configuration options for the Unity bar, leaves us with the worst of both worlds.

Some have suggested using Ubuntu classic - why should I do that - apart from this one issue I love unity mode ! The side panel is great, and I am looking forward to more improvements. If it had the same applets as the top panel - clock, calendar, print icon, etc. then I would no longer need the top panel at all. I use vmware a lot for work, and the ability to mix host and vm windows is wonderful.

For those of you stating that Unity is still experimental, you are kind of missing the point. The easiest time to make changes is early on in the development process. As development continues it becomes progressively more costly to make changes.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by honecker View Post
    Guys - the solution is extremely simple: Logut and login again, but choose "Ubuntu Classic" as the login option. You'll get the Gnome2 environment you're used to from Ubuntu 10.

I was willing to give the new default in 11.04 a try, since I always try to use the defaults, so that I see what most people see (I explicitly do NOT want to be different), but unfortunately it is unusable, and I DID give it a thorough try and was willing to change my ways. The subject discussed here nailed it for me, of my mere 800 lines on the laptop monitor I don't want to loose any to something so useless. The guy who said "it does not make sense" really does not make sense himself, sorry to say - when the cursor moves there it is there.

Oh and because of a really §%$(&/%$§"§$ forum administration and/or implementation I just had to go through many unsuccessful login attempts (even though I had just registered with yet another account and I KNEW what password I used there, and no typo either), and in the end had to create a THIRD account here.
    I've found a lot of solutions that are duplicates of this. Why do so many people across the web think the answer to "How to hide the top panel in Unity?" is to not use Unity? I know how to make your house energy efficient - buy a different house! Genius!

Beans

I need to hide the top panel on my media frontend. The lack of a facility to do this is very annoying. Yet another example of Ubuntu become less and less flexible and restricted in what you can use it for. I wonder when they are going to make it so you can't do workprocessing either!

Beans

I can't see why the panel is required when we now have the HUD. I guess this is a bridging distro, and later there will be an option to disable the panel. Personally, I have no need for the panel or the side bar, I open commonly used programs with shortcut keys and use the launcher for the rest. It seems a shame to waste screen real estate on launchers that i don't use, but again, I think this is all due to the transitional nature of this distro.

Beans

I do log on to other machines with remote desktop NX... anybody thought about that?

This is not good , frustrating, I need access to my server FULL SCREEN...

hugo

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast