Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Back Light Issue

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal Back Light Issue

Quote Originally Posted by gingivere0 View Post
    I have this exact same issue on an emachines. I had it during beta and expected the issue to be resolved today but it wasn't. Right now I'm using a script that I found somewhere on the net. You just have to log in, open a terminal (Ctrl+alt+t), and execute the script or type the command. You need root permissions.
    Code:
    sudo setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=0
    I don't know why it works, just that it works. Maybe someone that is better with coding can decipher and find a permanent solution. Good Luck!
    I tried that! as well as sudo setpci -s 00:03.0 F4.B=00
    Neither work

Beans

I really wish this problem would get fixed soon. I updated this the week before my finals and I need my laptop. Has anyone found a more permanentway? that first code worked for me, but eventually it will get really tedious

Thanks

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derrickhensley View Post
    I really wish this problem would get fixed soon. I updated this the week before my finals and I need my laptop. Has anyone found a more permanentway? that first code worked for me, but eventually it will get really tedious

Thanks
    If you add...
    Code:
    setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=0
    ...to /etc/rc.local, it will run at startup, which has fixed this problem for me. Massive thanks to gingivere0 for finding this solution.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest42 View Post
    If you add...
    Code:
    ...to /etc/rc.local, it will run at startup, which has fixed this problem for me. Massive thanks to gingivere0 for finding this solution.
    I am a pretty New user could you walk me through how to do that or something

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by derrickhensley View Post
    I am a pretty New user could you walk me through how to do that or something
    Sure. First, just type the following into a terminal window:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    If you've just installed Ubuntu, this file will probably only have some comments at the top (each line starting with a #), and "exit 0" at the bottom. All you need to do is add the following before the "exit 0" line.

Code:
    The rc.local script will execute when Ubuntu starts up, and will ensure that the backlight is on when you reach the login screen. Note that you don't need to put "sudo" in this file, as it is run as the root user anyway.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tempest42 View Post
    Sure. First, just type the following into a terminal window:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/rc.local
    If you've just installed Ubuntu, this file will probably only have some comments at the top (each line starting with a #), and "exit 0" at the bottom. All you need to do is add the following before the "exit 0" line.

Code:
    The rc.local script will execute when Ubuntu starts up, and will ensure that the backlight is on when you reach the login screen. Note that you don't need to put "sudo" in this file, as it is run as the root user anyway.
    this only workes for startup... not hibernate or suspend
    Packard Bell Dot NC15 Netbook - Ubuntu Karmic Koala Desktop

Acer Aspire 5732Z 4GB RAM upgrade - Ubuntu Karmic Koala Desktop

Beans

EDIT: The setpci command I used below apparently worked exactly once. When I powered off and restarted later got blank screen. Tried both B=0 and B=FF without success. I did manage to get the backlight on now by adding nomodeset to boot line, but have limited resolution (1280x800 is max allowed when native I have 1920x1080).

Thank you for all those with suggestions in this thread... it got me on the right track. The following worked for me (instead of B=0).

Code:
    setpci -s 00:02.0 F4.B=FF
    A note that was previously not mentioned for those confused with how to get to this on a laptop... You can boot to a live 10.04 or 10.10 CD and mount your internal drive by clicking on it in "Places". The tweak to the previously mention line then used open rc.local for editing would be:

Code:
    gksudo gedit /media/abc123/etc/rc.local
    where 'abc123' will be different and is the mount point of your drive. Use tab when typing in terminal after media directory to auto-complete your mount point.
    Last edited by catastrophreak; April 29th, 2011 at 10:14 PM. Reason: updating my results

Beans

I am still having issues. It is not a permanent fix, has anyone reported this bug to the coders. Because I am getting tired of having to do the code each time I want to use my laptop. I can't afford to have a crippled computer when my finals are coming up

Beans

This worked for me on an Acer laptop, it's not perfect but ok for now.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1742352

When you get to the log in screen (which you can't see), press the function button and increase brightness button to get light.
    Works ok after suspend and hibernate as well.

Beans

When grub comes up you can choose previous versions and choose a kernel other than the newest and the back light will work. The newest kernel is the problem. Once you get in go to synaptic package manager and you can just remove the newest kernel and you can get in like normal without having to chose the previous versions in grub yourself. Let me know how it works.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast