Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SUSE 10.1 released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Re: SUSE 10.1 released

Hey everyone I was thinking of trying Suse 10.1. Do you think it is worth installing ? I would mintain a dual-boot with dapper but should I do an internet install or download the 5 cds ?

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

you only need the first 3 cds for a basic install

And if youre worried about the gnome version, im sure there will be a way to update it.
    Help Ubuntu rise to the top! Join the Ubuntu Folding@Home Team

Apps loading too slowly? Prelink

Beans

Which distro would it be easier to install xgl on, dapper final, or suse 10.1?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mostwanted
    Anyone know where I can find the Metacity and GTK+ themes used in SUSE 10.1?
    for all except the metacity theme, the usual place - gnome-look. it uses tango(original. not the standard blue ones) icons, clearlooks gtk, and suse's own metacity (you can't get this from gnome-look). just use clearbox instead because its very configurable.

its a shame that 2.14 isn't shipped with it. i think i'll wait for the next version, provided that i don't stay with fedora.
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; May 11th, 2006 at 11:28 PM.

Beans

Already downloading mini iso for netinstall. The only problem is that there's no torrent for mini so i'm downloading at 4 kb/s....

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by void_false
    Already downloading mini iso for netinstall. The only problem is that there's no torrent for mini so i'm downloading at 4 kb/s....
    I wouldn't recommend it. The servers are so busy that when I was downloading and loading the install system it was not even a quater full after 30 minuets (I have 768 kb/s internet and a really fast computer too). I was getting 347 kb/s for the mini iso but since everyone is home now, they are all upgrading so downloading anything will take a long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I'm grabbing the CD's via torrent right now, and once I have some free time I'll play around with SUSE a bit for the feel.

Right now, I'm pretty solid on preferring Ubuntu (which is very different from my situation 6 months or longer ago )....

Note that due to Novell's stance on non-GPL kernel modules, out-of-the-box support for various hardware (madwifi and other wifi chipsets, nvidia/ATI, etc) will suffer compared to Dapper, but nothing we can't work around with some effort. Also, due to choosing to get a 2.6.16 kernel, a few wireless chipset drivers also had to be dropped for compatibility reasons.

They have a new package manager system (rug with smart), which will be fun to tinker with...
    Quote Originally Posted by tuxradar
    Linux's audio architecture is more like the layers of the Earth's crust than the network model, with lower levels occasionally erupting on to the surface, causing confusion and distress, and upper layers moving to displace the underlying technology that was originally hidden

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

just installed suse 10.1: what a gimmick!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I waited for the 5 cd to downlaod for thw hoel day yesterday..then when I installed it:
    1. My partitions are not mounted on boot up! what gives?
    2. No source list in YAST??? Man, why so dense?? SUSE site is also down, so can't check what repo's are working?
    3. I mean what the heck is YAST? just gobbles all my cpu for minutes, and then does not even do what it is supposed to do??? what gives?
    4. GNOME 2.12: bugs galore!!! Keep away from it....

5. KDe is fast, but not as fast as 3.5.2 on kubuntu

I am sooooooooooooooo disappointed....I wasted my anticipation for nothing...my new resolution: dapper drake!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Everthing on 1 CD and it works even in beta state. Can u imagine what it will be when it final!

SUSE 10.1 Gold Master, my a***. More like bronze slave!!!
    Sorry, my rants are just an expressio of how I feel right now. I started with SUSE on linux, but when I found Ubuntu...I found heaven on earth!!!!!

Viva!
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe
    just installed suse 10.1: what a gimmick!
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO, never again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I waited for the 5 cd to downlaod for thw hoel day yesterday..then when I installed it:
    2. No source list in YAST??? Man, why so dense?? SUSE site is also down, so can't check what repo's are working?
    3. I mean what the heck is YAST? just gobbles all my cpu for minutes, and then does not even do what it is supposed to do??? what gives?
    4. GNOME 2.12: bugs galore!!! Keep away from it....

5. KDe is fast, but not as fast as 3.5.2 on kubuntu

I am sooooooooooooooo disappointed....I wasted my anticipation for nothing...my new resolution: dapper drake!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Everthing on 1 CD and it works even in beta state. Can u imagine what it will be when it final!

SUSE 10.1 Gold Master, my a***. More like bronze slave!!!
    Sorry, my rants are just an expressio of how I feel right now. I started with SUSE on linux, but when I found Ubuntu...I found heaven on earth!!!!!

Viva!
    That post had no value for me. Try to limit your "!"'s and give arguments for your view; just saying it is bad, isn't enough .

Beans

That should be easily adjustable with YAST.

You can also use YAST to install stuff from the 5 CDs, you know.
    If you are looking for some additional repos:
    http://susediary.blogspot.com/2006/0...-approach.html

Huh? Did you even take a look at what YAST is capable off?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast