Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SUSE 10.1 released

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

Re: SUSE 10.1 released

Quote Originally Posted by ComplexNumber
    for all except the metacity theme, the usual place - gnome-look. it uses tango(original. not the standard blue ones) icons, clearlooks gtk, and suse's own metacity (you can't get this from gnome-look). just use clearbox instead because its very configurable.

its a shame that 2.14 isn't shipped with it. i think i'll wait for the next version, provided that i don't stay with fedora.
    That's not Clearlooks (which I happen to know is grey, not beige/green ), if anything it's a modification of Clearlooks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by mostwanted
    That's not Clearlooks (which I happen to know is grey, not beige/green ), if anything it's a modification of Clearlooks.
    its a bit hard to tell judging by that photo because there aren't many widgets used. in suse 10, they used suse's home cooked metacity theme, clearlooks, and industrial icons.
    its seems that both the metacity theme and the gtk theme is Gilouche, which is apparently based on clearlooks. click for theme. here's a review opf suse 10.1
    Last edited by ComplexNumber; May 12th, 2006 at 10:02 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I just installed this and it is amazing. I hate to say it, but it really far more polished than kubuntu. It just works so well and everything fits together. It is also snappier than kubuntu, although yast is a little on the slow side.

That said, i am having problems with my wifi which kinda sucks, considering every other distro supports it. I should be able to get it working though if i play around a little more.

To the comment above,

"I waited for the 5 cd to downlaod for thw hoel day yesterday..then when I installed it:"

You actually only needed the first 3...

" 1. My partitions are not mounted on boot up! what gives?"

you didnt read the instructions in the installer. By default, it mounts everything but when you click the "expert" button it is up to you to set that up.

"No source list in YAST??? Man, why so dense?? SUSE site is also down, so can't check what repo's are working?"

your source list is sitting on your desk, its the 5 cds you downloaded.
    "3. I mean what the heck is YAST? just gobbles all my cpu for minutes, and then does not even do what it is supposed to do??? what gives?"

Again, learn to read. Its not that hard.
    Help Ubuntu rise to the top! Join the Ubuntu Folding@Home Team

Apps loading too slowly? Prelink

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by dmb
    Which distro would it be easier to install xgl on, dapper final, or suse 10.1?
    Kororaa XGL-Live 0.2!

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I just got xgl working on suse and it is a little different from ubuntu. The installation is a little lengthier, but they hold your hand all the way through and, unlike in ubuntu, it worked right the first time.

Here is the guide, dont let it scare you, it really isnt that hard.

http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/feature/17174.html

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

I just installed Suse on a laptop with ATI card...It failed. I will try loading Suse now on my desktop. I always liked Suse but always thought YAST was kinda to slow for me. YAST.... Yet Another SLOW Tool. LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Mate Development Release

I just installed openSuse 10.1

first Suse 10 has no default desktop you get to choose and none is preseleted)

XGl was a walk in the park

Step 1 install nvidia drivers

go to a termnal by alt f2

login as root

type in
    Code:
    init 3
    next type in
    Code:
    tiny-nvidia-installer --update
    this will automaticly download and install the latest nvidia drivers (it will as kif you whant the script to change the setings for you dont let it

next
    Code:
    nano /etx/X11/xorg.config
    in the device section change the driver to "nvidia"

now enter
    Code:
    init 5
    to get your graphical envirnment back and login

Now hear is ware it kicks dapper in the pants

go to the desktop menu and select YaST it will ask for you password once yast is launched select "Software management" in the software managemet window thire is a pull down menu use it to select "search" in the provided test feild enter in "xgl" than selet the fond xgl package found in the right by clicking its checkbox, than click accept

yast will now install compiz and xgl

now go to Desktop > Controll center

you will find a icon in the window that pops up that says "Desktop effects and settings" double click it than click the button that says enable 3D desktop this will auto reset X11 and you will now have Compiz

in the same secton of the controll center ware you activated compiz you can controll all of the compiz effect and keybindings
    infact the controll center has alot of controlls that i wished dapper had (like for gstreamer)

before i installed SuSE 10.1 on this box (today) i was useing Dapper Beta open suse feal somewhat faster at this point and the attention to detale is fantastic!

given the fact that alot of necessitys like spamassassin "justwork" out of the box dapper has some stiff compition in open suse 10.1 (and fedora core 5 just had the seat of it's pants kicked)
    Last edited by dusanyu; May 13th, 2006 at 04:08 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

fedora core 5 just had the seat of it's pants kicked
    doubtful. a moot point at most. at least fedora core 5 has gnome 2.14, whereas suse 10.1 is still on 2.12. considering i use gnome, its fedora core 5 that kicks the seat of suse 10.1 pants.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

i cant find that icon in "desktop". what do you mean by that?

Edit

nevermind, found it.

FYI, K->Utilities->Desktop
    Last edited by drizek; May 13th, 2006 at 05:01 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Edgy Eft Testing

I wanted to retype your guide to make it more easy to understand so that i could recommend it to noobs. How does this sound?

How To: Install XGL in KDE on Suse 10.1 with an nvidia card

First, you need to install the nvidia drivers and setup 3d acceleration.

Log out and press ctrl+alt+F1, this should take you to a terminal.

Login as root and type in

Code:
    init 3
    to shutdown the X server.

Now type in

Code:
    tiny-nvidia-installer –update
    This should automatically download and install the driver for you(if asked whether you want it to configure your setup for you, say no).

To enable this driver type

Code:
    sax2 -r -m 0=nvidia
    (this may reset your resolution settings)

The nvidia driver is now installed and you can restart the X server with

Code:
    init 5
    The hard part is now over. Next you need to open up Yast. Go to the Kmenu-System-YaST.

You should now click on Software Management. Once it loads, search for “xgl” in the search box on the left. Check it when it shows up on the right and hit “Apply”. This will install xgl and compiz for you.

To enable Compiz go back to the K menu and click on Utilities-Desktop-Control Center. Click on the “Desktop Effects Settings” button. The window that comes up should allow you to easily enable and configure xlg/compiz.

Have fun.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast