Thread: Unity worked in live mode but not after installation.

Beans

Unity worked in live mode but not after installation.

I donít understand..

When I installed Ubuntu Natty beta 1 on my Asus U35JC laptop I got Unity by default(and it worked fine). When running live Ubuntu daily(downloaded yesterday) on it I get Unity(working). But after installing it on the hard drive I get a message telling me I donít have the hardware to run Unity and it falls back to Ubuntu classic. This is after the first run.

When I log out I donít get the options in the dropdown box to choose Unity(its not there). I installed Unity 2D(qt) but also that option is missing in the login screen.

The laptop have to gpu (navidia and Intel), I have disabled the navidia gpu. The Intel one is good enough to run 720p films, and as I wrote above unity worked i beta 1 and in live mode.

Any tips?

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Unity worked in live mode but not after installation.

You need to go into the Administration menu and check if there are any third party drivers which need to be downloaded.
    PC

To get a terminal command to put its output into a file use this format
    {terminal command} > {filename}

Beans

Thanks for your suggestion but I donít think its correct.

1. I didnít do this on beta 1 version nor on the live cd, and unity worked fine.

2. third party drivers are only needed for the nvdia card on this laptop (and its turned off since it use to much power), the Intel gpu use open drivers(and as I wrote it can play 720p movies without any problems).

Beans

I just installed Natty again on the same laptop to see what would happen - and now Unity is back and fully working..

Have no clue why. I have also disabled the nvidia gpu and unity works just fine with the intel card.