Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Natty Info: Your UI options

hakermania is offline Τώρα ξέρεις τι γράφω εδώ!
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Natty Info: Your UI options

Thx for the tips, really useful, I hope that here I would find a good way to switch between open applications rather than use the alt-tab or the left side panel..... The first is difficult if you have more than 4-5 apps running (you must press the tab button 4 times+ if you want to find you application and there isn't any name of the application in which the alt-tab is 'running', so it is very difficult if you have too same windows open and then 2nd is like you're searching for your kid in a super market
    Website

Wallch (Wallpaper Changer): Sourceforge | Launchpad

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Thank you for taking the time.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Really useful thank you. It will take some time to get my head around it all. Meantime my major problem is that I cant seem to access Unity at all. [IMG][img=http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8996/screenshotloginscreense.png][/IMG]

Obviously overlooking something here. Any suggestions much appreciated.

Beans

Thanks for this. Also, bump.

Quote Originally Posted by Hedgehog1 View Post
    Another method to get the launcher to appear without using the mouse is to press the 'Windows' key:
    It's alternatively called either the meta key or the super key. Please stop calling it the "windows" key, which it isn't.
    A still more glorious dawn awaits!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw== View Post
    It's alternatively called either the meta key or the super key. Please stop calling it the "windows" key, which it isn't.
    aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw,

Interesting - the Logo on this key is either an MS Windows logo, or (if you have a Mac) an Apple Logo. Look though I might, I don't see the words of meta or super on it that a new Ubuntu user would recognize. I don't argue that it's real use is, in fact, better worded as super (I don't care for calling it meta, that is just silly). I suppose that it would also be more accurate than change the wording of the 'A' to: 'Send ASCII 65 or 97'. But I just can't get myself to do that; not for new users, anyway.

Now, I would be willing to call it the Super (Windows) key, but frankly that seems very wrong.

I will have to think about this. Too bad it doesn't have an Ubuntu logo or Linux Penguin, but even then I would want to call it the 'Ubuntu' Key or 'Penguin' Key, not the super key (unless the Penguin was wearing a cape - that would make a difference!).

Yeah, gonna need to think about this.

Too bad the key has that darn Windows logo on it; makes calling it by another name so much harder.

The 'Pondering' Hedge

p.s. aG93IGRvIGkgdWJ1bnR1Pw, I am glad you found something to dislike about this simple introduction. Your positive feedback is most helpful. By the way, do you have trouble remembering your login name?

The Hedge, looking for the words meta or super on the keyboard.
    Last edited by Hedgehog1; April 30th, 2011 at 05:21 AM.
    Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by TedinOz View Post
    Really useful thank you. It will take some time to get my head around it all. Meantime my major problem is that I cant seem to access Unity at all. [IMG][img=http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/8996/screenshotloginscreense.png][/IMG]

Obviously overlooking something here. Any suggestions much appreciated.
    In addition to Hedgehogs great posts, I'd recommend looking at this.

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795...guide-to-unity

You may have a video driver issue that is keeping you from using unity. What happens? Do you not get an option for it on the login screen or are you doing auto login? What video do you have?
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    In addition to Hedgehogs great posts, I'd recommend looking at this.

http://castrojo.tumblr.com/post/4795...guide-to-unity

You may have a video driver issue that is keeping you from using unity. What happens? Do you not get an option for it on the login screen or are you doing auto login? What video do you have?
    Thanks for the link. I can get Unity to work and have since figured out that to check 'Ubuntu' rather than 'Ubuntu Classic' it will load in Unity along with the side panel which I can make work although not sure I like it a lot yet. Having said that, at the same time I get a top panel (but that displays nothing except the last application used) and no bottom panel at all. So for the time being will use the Classic until I can find the right directions for this.
    Not sure what you mean about video driver, or how to identify what video I have. Videos play without a problem.
    The only option I get on my login screen is to log in with my name and password.

Beans
    Distro

The only option I get on my login screen is to log in with my name and password.
    See the first screen shot from the top post in this thread.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    See the first screen shot from the top post in this thread.
    Right! I understand now. I will try the Ubuntu option and see if anything appears differently. Thanks

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast