Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bios messed up completely

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Re: Bios messed up completely

Quote Originally Posted by acid_fall View Post
    I already have the bootable usb stick, but it say the same error as the windows recovery disk...
    You will have to find a friend/family. Go there. Download the Ubuntu .ISO file and burn a copy to CD.

Set to boot from CD in friends PC.

Put USB in and remove hardrive, then boot and go through the installation process > install to the USB drive. It will automatically detect. Do not choose to update during the preinstall. After this is done you may be able to try and boot it from your affected pc but do not update until you reinstall the affected hardrive.

Hope I'm not confusing you. I am sure there are other methods but the method I mentioned has worked for me.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie 17.10 Artful Aardvark

Quote Originally Posted by acid_fall View Post
    Well, I just did that. It was successful in booting into the windows recovery disk, but all I got was the blue screen saying "Windows Setup" But then nothing else will com up. My best guess to why this is happening is that when I unplug the hard drive, there is nowhere windows can go.
    So you should be able to boot a Maveric ISO and then install to USB. Make sure the harddrive is not connected to the system

BTW .. what type of PC is it?

If the BIOS is affected or damaged then it may not be possible. If it is an older system then you may need PLOP bootloader.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    So you should be able to boot a Maveric ISO and then install to USB. Make sure the harddrive is not connected to the system

BTW .. what type of PC is it?

If the BIOS is affected or damaged then it may not be possible. If it is an older system then you may need PLOP bootloader.
    It was custom made from 2007, maybe 2008.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by ventrical View Post
    You will have to find a friend/family. Go there. Download the Ubuntu .ISO file and burn a copy to CD.

Set to boot from CD in friends PC.

Put USB in and remove hardrive, then boot and go through the installation process > install to the USB drive. It will automatically detect. Do not choose to update during the preinstall. After this is done you may be able to try and boot it from your affected pc but do not update until you reinstall the affected hardrive.

Hope I'm not confusing you. I am sure there are other methods but the method I mentioned has worked for me.

You know what, I think that may actually work. It may take me a few days to get someone to agree to let me use their computer to do that, but I think it could work. Thanks! I'll try that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12