Thread: improvement choices for system 76

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

improvement choices for system 76

I would like to just give my opinion, when you are customising a computer on system 76 it only shows one option for an OS. As of right now it is Ubuntu 10.10. I think you should also include the latest LTS. example, you should have 2 options Ubuntu 10.10 or Ubuntu 10.04 TLS. I think having that option would make it easier for any business that would be willing to buy to have a OS that has long term support. Just my thoughts.
    Why not donate your unused computer time to World Community Grid.
    It's simple, secure, and you can contribute for free.
    http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org/home.do

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: improvement choices for system 76

I second that! for those who want a practical and stable OS, the LTS is a much better way to go. Those in a business or office environment do not need, nor want, the latest and greatest beta upgrade. It would be better to provide them a stable release that doesn't change every 6 months. Let them get a 4 year run on their machines, by that time, the machines will be depreciated and be ready to be replaced.

Good Idea.

Beans

This would be a very welcomed step forward, knowing how many things break with each new release every 6 months.

System76 any comments?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Some systems require a particular feature or driver in the latest version of Ubuntu to run; it's part of how we can offer cutting-edge hardware. For example, the Gazelle, Serval, and Wild Dog systems all feature Sandy Bridge processors, and don't work with Ubuntu versions prior to 10.10.

We typically find that Ubuntu releases tend to stabilize after a month or two, and they are typically very reliable, particularly after that time. Additionally, with the way Ubuntu releases are timed, any given release will always be supported until the next LTS. For example, 10.10, which came directly after 10.04 LTS, has support for 18 months, and will reach end of life in April of 2012, which is when 12.04 LTS will be released. From there, you can stay on LTS.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!