Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Water+laptop=...?

Beans

Re: Water+laptop=...?

Yes, and it will also waterproof your shoes, watch, every other electronic device you own, allow you to own a horse without everyone disconnecting on you and make every troll on the Internets bow down to you
    No longer active here.

Beans

I spilled a large mug on coffee on mine and i turned it off. Then i removed everything that could be taken off easily. Then let it sit on top of 2 erasers so it was off the table for 3 days. Then i very lightly shook it and let it set for a couple of more days.

I then put everything back and fired it up. Haven't had a problem with it at all. I keep my coffee on another table now !!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think that the Water can be affected, dont drink it

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Water trashed my system. My son spilled water on it while we were on vacation.

Actually, I think I may have tried turning it on too soon.

Somebody recommended, since it wasn't booting anyway, to use rubbing alcohol to wash off the motherboard.

I would only look at that as a "it doesn't boot so what have I got to loose?" action.
    Friends don't let friends wear a red shirt on landing-party duty.
    DACS | Connecticut LoCo Team | My Blog
    Ubuntu User# : 17583, Linux User# : 477531

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonbite View Post
    Somebody recommended, since it wasn't booting anyway, to use rubbing alcohol to wash off the motherboard.
    If the alcohol was strong enough, it would serve to suck up all the remaining tiny water droplets and evaporate quickly. However if you're using regular 70% rubbing alcohol it deposits a fair amount of water on its own. 91% would do a much better job, and 99% (often only available behind the counter) better still.

So high-strength (91/99%) rubbing alcohol might do the trick, then a hair dryer on low or cool setting to evaporate the rubbing alcohol and the water it found.

Of course if power was applied to a shorted component, the component might have been destroyed.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by kaldor View Post
    I'd just switch to Arch if I were you.

Quote Originally Posted by aguafina View Post
    Just install Arch
    Lol is Arch waterproof?
    Arch will clean your house, pay your bills, and go pick up your carry out pizza for you.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post

Arch will clean your house, pay your bills, and go pick up your carry out pizza for you.
    Arch won't clean my house, just the bathroom. Maybe I misconfigured something. I'll have to see what the wiki says.
    Acer Aspire 5050-5554 w/ 4GB RAM upgrade. Ubuntu Aug 07 - Dec 08; Arch Linux Dec 08 - July 2011; Ubuntu again since July 2011.
    "Triclops": Home-built AMD Athlon II X2 250, 4GB RAM, Radeon 6570, 500GB HDD. Ubuntu/Windows-XP duo since Jun 2010.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12