Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Update or fresh install?

Beans

Update or fresh install?

So since the final release is coming out tomorrow I was wondering if it's better to use the update manager or do a fresh install?

I'd prefer the update method of course since I have so many things I would need to back up. And all my configurations and such....

I did some googling and most people recommend reinstalls but not sure what the reason for that is...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Update or fresh install?

i recommend downloading the iso image it lets you do both an upgrade right from it or do a fresh install if needed.

more info:
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/04/how-t...104-natty.html
    Last edited by madjr; April 27th, 2011 at 07:29 PM.
    When close to achieving you quit! If you don't try you failed. Real Winners are not afraid of losing.
    ubuntu newsletter ; Report Papercuts (small annoyances/bugs) ; beginners guide and video http://youtube.com/watch?v=Z0tNpt5RZYI

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I would do a backup of the system (I use clonezilla for backups, as it's worked perfectly so far for me) and try both methods. Then you can decide which one fits best for you.

Anyway, I did an update from maverick to the beta and had no problems, so you should be fine with the update.

Beans
    Hidden!

Backup, backup, backup, whatever you do.

As for the OP - clean install is my preferred method.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

I usually do a fresh install, as my system tends to get crufty after the development cycle. That being said, I usually only use the fresh install for a week or so until the toolchain is uploaded, then only revert when the testing version is unusable.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    I usually do a fresh install, as my system tends to get crufty after the development cycle. That being said, I usually only use the fresh install for a week or so until the toolchain is uploaded, then only revert when the testing version is unusable.
    I have two setups that originate from Lucid clean install and one from Maverick.
    These have been updated all through the development cycles through Maverick up to Natty. I haven't even been compelled to chroot, no reinstalls.
    I use some kind of minimal amount of packages (only those necessary for me), without any meta packages, without Unity, Compiz; totalling up to 750 packages.

I plan to keep it that way too.
    But, I do not use terminal to update nor do I use Update Manager (which is not even installed), I only use Synaptic, taking care to remove all deprecated and old packages and resetting confs when necessary.

Beans
    Distro

I don't do fresh installs unless I am forced to because of hardware failure, disk corruption, etc....

Some system wide settings may differ because of packages that default to using your old settings instead of some different settings a newer version of a package may default to when freshly installed.

Sometimes configuration files in '/etc/' may be replaced leaving 'blah-blah.old' configuration files laying around. Usually not significant in number of files or disk space used and not really a point of confusion either since since it's clear which files are old.

You will probably end up with extra packages installed that would not get installed if you do a clean install, then re-install the additional software/packages you want, but if you view and remove obsolete or locally installed packages, these should not be *that* significant in terms of disk space.

If you keep your old home directory on a "clean" install, because you keep it on a separate partition or use the upgrade feature on the install disk, this is where the most potential for problems come from in the way of old configuration files that get used, old settings migrated to new formats/directories, old unused configuration stuff left behind, making it more difficult to determine whats actually being used when/if you have a problem.

I'm sure on the migration front, good efforts are made to insure the end result is good, but it's hard to eliminate every corner case and the more deeply you get into configuration stuff, hand editing, gconf-editor, etc... the more potential for oddities from old configurations that get used or scenarios that were not accounted for in some migration script/utility leading to issues during or after migration.

There are reasons to do clean installs and reasons to do upgrades, but in the end, IMHO, the biggest reason by far is just personal preference, neither really stands out much from the standpoint of one being "better" than the other.

Later, Seeker
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by seeker5528 View Post
    I don't do fresh installs unless I am forced to because of hardware failure, disk corruption, etc....

Some system wide settings may differ because of packages that default to using your old settings instead of some different settings a newer version of a package may default to when freshly installed.

Sometimes configuration files in '/etc/' may be replaced leaving 'blah-blah.old' configuration files laying around. Usually not significant in number of files or disk space used and not really a point of confusion either since since it's clear which files are old.

You will probably end up with extra packages installed that would not get installed if you do a clean install, then re-install the additional software/packages you want, but if you view and remove obsolete or locally installed packages, these should not be *that* significant in terms of disk space.

If you keep your old home directory on a "clean" install, because you keep it on a separate partition or use the upgrade feature on the install disk, this is where the most potential for problems come from in the way of old configuration files that get used, old settings migrated to new formats/directories, old unused configuration stuff left behind, making it more difficult to determine whats actually being used when/if you have a problem.

I'm sure on the migration front, good efforts are made to insure the end result is good, but it's hard to eliminate every corner case and the more deeply you get into configuration stuff, hand editing, gconf-editor, etc... the more potential for oddities from old configurations that get used or scenarios that were not accounted for in some migration script/utility leading to issues during or after migration.

There are reasons to do clean installs and reasons to do upgrades, but in the end, IMHO, the biggest reason by far is just personal preference, neither really stands out much from the standpoint of one being "better" than the other.

Later, Seeker
    Well is there a way to tell the installer to keep my old home folder?

Beans
    Distro

i've always done update and there were no problems.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade
    Why should we use Windows when we can use door?
    the door of world is here in linux,pass the door to be safe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Fresh install when possible, upgrades sometimes get weird and result into all sorts of complications (sound problems for me).
    I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones.
    Freedom is measured in Stallmans.
    Projects: gEcrit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast