Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Duplicate files in /home

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Duplicate files in /home

I keep getting doubles in all my home files in each OS and even duplicates within them. taking up my cloud space
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The government and my wife work together to provide me with a fixed income. The government provides the income and my wife fixed it so I don't see any of it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: don't know where to put this

Not sure screenshot helps much. Which /home folder? You don't have a separate /home partition and therefore have a /home folder in each install (inside /).

Which install are you talking about???

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: don't know where to put this

I have a home folder in each OS. I don't have a separate home partition. Should I
    The government and my wife work together to provide me with a fixed income. The government provides the income and my wife fixed it so I don't see any of it.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Re: Duplicate files in /home

Changed the thread title to a more informative one.
    Bringing old hardware back to life. About problems due to upgrading.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts.
    Don't use this space for a list of your hardware. It only creates false hits in the search engines.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I have been progressing though them and giving each one a good try The hard driv lises each one stating with Ubuntu 10.04

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

At least you only have one swap partition. It is a bit on the big side at 29GB.

I have 4 versions of Ubuntu on my disk. Three of them have their own home folder on the partition. One of them (my main, working Ubuntu) has a /home partition.

Some on this forum would recommend having the same /home partition for each installation. I have not tried that. I do access the folders and files on the /home partition whenever I am using one of the other Ubuntus.

Right now I am using an install of 12.04 development branch but I do work on documents stored on the /home folder of my 11.10 Ubuntu.

I only use Ubuntu One on the 11.10 Ubuntu. If you set up Ubuntu One or whatever on-line storage you have, on each install then of course you will have folders from each install taking up Cloud/storage space

Regards.
    Regards.
    It is a machine. It is more stupid than we are. It will not stop us from doing stupid things.
    Ubuntu user #33,200. Linux user #530,530

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It was easier to keep ever thing the same siz but I had it at 20 when I first started and to me it didn't matter if I lost 10 gigs. The OS are happy in there 30 gig partitions. Why rock the boat for 10 gigs

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Why would you need 1,2,3.... what is that 6 installs of essentially the same exact OS on the same computer? I suppose I could understand keeping an install of the latest LTS and then the latest normal release, but why on earth would you have two installs of the SAME OS!? Ever heard of virtual box?
    Also, what is up with having that 260+ GB of unpartitioned space at the end of the drive? I might suggest since you are not running Windows on this computer that you may want to reformat the hard drive with a GUID partition table, because GPT supports up to 128 Primary partitions.
    Another recommendation would be to use the large unpartitioned space as /home partition and configure ALL of your Ubuntu/Mint installs to use the same /home. Or you could do what I do and just create "Documents, Downloads, Music, Movies & Pictures" folders on a large partition and symlink to those folders from your /home folder on each OS. I have my computer set up this way running Xubuntu 11.10, Windows 7 Ult & Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and its nice to have all of my files in the same place across all OSes.
    Last edited by mörgæs; December 20th, 2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Please use less harsh words.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

or you could partition your drive as a single large extended partition and then have infinite logicals inside it. However, should you choose to do that be aware that some OSes aside from Linux need to be installed on a Primary (I know Windows, Solaris and some BSDs do for sure)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

The first partitions are all primary
    dev/sda1 is Ubuntu 10.04LTS
    dev/sda2 is Ubuntu 10.10
    sda3 is swap file and sda4 is the extended partition may have what you think are duplicate Os's but are different in what is on them. 11.04 is stock with unity but the next 11.04 has kde full loaded and the next one use gnome

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast