Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 waiting thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 waiting thread

-1 day: let's do the countdown

-20 hours
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans

Re: Ubuntu Natty Narwhal 11.04 waiting thread

If you have installed the beta and done the updates then you probably already have 11.04. Speaking from experience, they don't generally release a tonne of new packages on release day.

However they will updated the website and have a new ISO for download... And users who have maverick will get the option to upgrade in their update manager. Unless anything has changed this time that's usually how they roll out the new versions.
    Last edited by Johnsie; April 27th, 2011 at 02:08 PM.

Beans

wow! for some reason i had it in my head that natty was coming out next week, this makes me happy

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Johnsie View Post
    If you have installed the beta and done the updates then you probably already have 11.04. Speaking from experience, they don't generally release a tonne of new packages on release day.

However they will updated the website and have a new ISO for download... And users who have maverick will get the option to upgrade in their update manager. Unless anything has changed this time that's usually how they roll out the new versions.
    I don't know how many people do this, but even though I have Beta2 installed I am going to wipe it out and install 11.04 release fresh and new. Yes I know I could do a dist-upgrade, but where is the fun in that?

Beans

I have 11.04 Beta 2 installed and will do a dist-upgrade tomorrow to get 11.04 final. My only dilemma is whether or not to install Gnome 3 again. I'd been using Gnome 3 on 11.04 for a while and decided to reinstall to get Unity back and as soon as I did I missed Gnome 3.....go figure :s

[EDIT] OOH! My first post![/EDIT]

Beans

Doing a fresh install is a good idea if that is an option. Sometimes breakage in the betas doesn't get repaired when doing an upgrade. Even upgrading from one release to another can cause breakage or there may be something that doesnt update fully.

For example, older versions of Ubuntu used the Ext3 filesytem. Later on ext4 became the default... But if you were upgrading from an older version with ext3 it wouldn't automatically give you ext4. You needed to either re-partition youir system or do a full re-install to get the ext4
    Last edited by Johnsie; April 27th, 2011 at 02:21 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

I will be removing 10.10 and getting Windows ready for dual boot later . I won't try an upgrade ,there are to many horror stories and I don't want a mixture of two operating systems. Since we are all in different time zones I'm not sure what time the release will come .
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; April 27th, 2011 at 08:32 PM.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AdvocateUK View Post
    I have 11.04 Beta 2 installed and will do a dist-upgrade tomorrow to get 11.04 final. My only dilemma is whether or not to install Gnome 3 again. I'd been using Gnome 3 on 11.04 for a while and decided to reinstall to get Unity back and as soon as I did I missed Gnome 3.....go figure :s

[EDIT] OOH! My first post![/EDIT]
    Epic first post!

And how is Gnome3? I was reading the Gnome blog about G3 support on Ubuntu, and saw a lot of problems with it mainly with applets and indicators.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hell with waiting I am upating now!

Beans

I wish this was a sticky, lol. Users should post their experience with the new version and with Unity.

Let the waiting begin!

Page 1 of 28 12311 ... LastLast