Thread: how to add the 10.10 bottom panel to unity

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Lightbulb how to add the 10.10 bottom panel to unity

for the last week i have been using unity(in my case
    unity 2) with out any bottom dock(like avant,docky or cairo). since most new users will be using without any dock. i missed a dock showing the open or min windows. being a power user and using more than one desktop it was a nightmare. the little white arrows on the unity toolbar just didnt cut it for me. so i went to /usr/share/applications and copied panel to the desktop then opened, deleted the top panel so i had just a bottom panel.then added windows list to the panel and added to the startup applications. a lot easier, using atl-tab all the time just a pain in the a**

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: how to add the 10.10 bottom panel to unity

this doesnt seem to adversely affect unity in anyway

Beans
    Distro

Lightbulb Re: how to add the 10.10 bottom panel to unity

you can set the panel options to autohide or show hide buttoms and still works great

Beans

Re: how to add the 10.10 bottom panel to unity

This sounds interesting. I'm embroiled in iso-testing ATM but shortly after release I plan on giving this a whirl. It'd be cool to have a sort of "mix" between the best of unity and the best of gnome-panel

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think the simple way is to log out, log in in classic mode, then move the top panel to either right or bottom (if you want that one too), log back into unity and use 'gnome-panel' in terminal. This way you can have the old panels next to the unity launcher. Obviously this works best if you have a large enough screen. Putting 'gnome-panel' in the start-up applications makes it permanent.

And I do agree that the little white thingies in the launcher are useless, equally useless is the thumb-print view. Who on earth can see which documents are open when more than maybe two are opened?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by rburkartjo View Post
    for the last week i have been using unity(in my case
    unity 2) with out any bottom dock(like avant,docky or cairo). since most new users will be using without any dock. i missed a dock showing the open or min windows. being a power user and using more than one desktop it was a nightmare. the little white arrows on the unity toolbar just didnt cut it for me. so i went to /usr/share/applications and copied panel to the desktop then opened, deleted the top panel so i had just a bottom panel.then added windows list to the panel and added to the startup applications. a lot easier, using atl-tab all the time just a pain in the a**
    I find the little arrows preferable to the single dot that docky gives you.

In some situations I prefer the window list that docky provides when you right click the icon of a running app with multiple open windows, but more often I prefer the visual view the Unity provides when you double click.

From 'a power user perspective'... I can quickly switch between single instances of apps on different desktops just by single clicking their icon.

I can quickly switch between any of an applications multiple open windows just by double clicking and choosing the window I want which, as is the case when switching between single instances of applications, switches me to the desktop that window is on if it's not on the current desktop.

I can quickly change to any desktop with 2 clicks.

You say it's a nightmare, that's your opinion, which you are entitled to and free to post about.

I think it works pretty good, my opinion.

Projecting your feelings about how it works onto a group (power users, new users, technical users, non-technical users, etc...) is a whole other thing.

Nothing wrong with defining yourself as a power user, but sometimes the mere act of saying you are a power user is enough to leave the impression that you are projecting the thoughts of a group as opposed just stating your individual opinion.

Later, Seeker
    Last edited by seeker5528; April 27th, 2011 at 10:04 PM.
    ¨Everybody's trying to be my villain, And I was unaware of the vacancy.¨....
    ¨And maybe someday I will not be destitute, and I will be kicked by a better brand of boot.¨
    --Golden Shoulders

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The latest version fo docky has a workspace switcher that works like it did in older versions, just click the workspace you want, once, and you're there.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

how to add the 10.10 bottom panel to unity
    If that's what you want not sure why you don't just do the opposite -
    login in to Classic, remove the top panel, enable the unity plugin