Thread: making songbird default music app in natty

Beans

making songbird default music app in natty

Hi guys. Because I have a music library with many different styles and genres, and thus need a music player with genre filtering built in, I use Songbird as my main music player. I've never really been bothered by the fact that under the 'preferred applications' menu there is no choice to set it as the default music player-- untill this latest release of ubuntu. Because of the fact that whenever you open the dash there is a big "LISTEN TO MUSIC" option, I would really prefer that it be the songbird app there, not totem (I don't have any other audio player installed, so I guess it defaults on totem...). I already have mp3 files automatically open with songbird when I double click them, but songbird is still not listed as my default music player.

If it helps any, I installed songbird through extracting the tar.gz to my home folder and basically just creating a launcher that links to the executable in that file. The path is to songbird is /home/danny/Songbird/songbird-bin

also, I have already tried a method that works for 8.04 or something that i found when searching these forums, but haven't been successful.

thanks in advance,
    danny

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Gnome 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: making songbird default music app in natty

Have you tried the custom option and entering the path to songbird?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lidex View Post
    Have you tried the custom option and entering the path to songbird?
    That should work, have changed the "big LISTEN TO MUSIC" to vlc here, (inc. icon

If it doesn't then may be songbird not installing as an app (w/ a .desktop, ect.

Beans

Yeah, neither one of them works for some reason. I guess I just gave up...