Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Rooting Android

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Rooting Android

Quote Originally Posted by joelzehring View Post
    Thanks for this step-by-step. In my Googling, I added a couple other steps like adding new rules file for udev and adding adb and fastboot to my PATH file.
    Good optional steps... I just didn't include them because, well, I consider them optional; however, they can be helpful down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by joelzehring
    So... My first question is related to steps 10 and 11. Once I boot into the bootloader, adb and fastboot seem to lose track of my Optimus V. Typing commands "adb devices" and "fastboot devices" return no devices. Fastboot doesn't return anything, actually.
    That is strange and did not happen to me. Is there anything printing to the screen?

Quote Originally Posted by joelzehring
    Which leads to my second question: What exactly is happening to the phone through the fastboot commands? Are the fastboot commands simply rooting the Optimus V, or is fastboot flashing a rooted OS onto the Optimus V? Is there a difference?

Thanks again.
    AFAIK, the fastboot commands are replacing the necessary root files with those needed to root it. If anyone lurking has a better explanation, please give it because I am not an expert!
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Does this interfere at all with the phone's service? Sorry to ask the noob question here. I just want to make sure this wont lead to a hell of a headache on the phone with Virgin Mobile's tech support trying to re-activate my phone. I just want to delete the perma-installed crap (twitdroid comes to mind) that they've put on my phone.
    Thanks for the great directions otherwise though!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok,so when I try to start ADB it informs me that I don't have enough permissions on the device.
    root@fenguin-System-Product-Name:/home/fenguin/android-sdk-linux_x86/platform-tools# ./adb root
    error: insufficient permissions for device

Beans

I rooted my LG P500 with Z4Root, have you tried that program?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by zieglerj View Post
    Does this interfere at all with the phone's service?
    Service? Not at all; in fact, my reception is better running the IHO rom. Do note, however, I think this voids the phone's warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by zieglerj
    Sorry to ask the noob question here. I just want to make sure this wont lead to a hell of a headache on the phone with Virgin Mobile's tech support trying to re-activate my phone.
    No worries... this is where you should ask those questions! If you root your phone, I'm pretty sure VM will tell you to go pound sand, but there are dozens of threads about putting-back the stock rom with which the Optimus V comes instaled.

Quote Originally Posted by zieglerj
    I just want to delete the perma-installed crap (twitdroid comes to mind) that they've put on my phone.
    One of the deciding factors for me to root and flash a different rom... that and the ability to overclock the processor and get quite snappier program response.

Thanks for the great directions otherwise though!
    You're welcome... thanks for the kudos!

Quote Originally Posted by zieglerj View Post
    Ok,so when I try to start ADB it informs me that I don't have enough permissions on the device.
    Hmm... try running
    Code:
    .adb usb
    and then
    Code:
    .adb root
    Asus Zenbook: Solus 4.1 GNOME | Dell Latitude: Ubuntu 20.04 Server

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234