Thread: Zeitgeist

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Zeitgeist

HI!
    I just want to ask, if anyone knows where does ZEIGEIST put its logs. Is it in my home folder, or is it somewhere else. I have my home folder enrypted and this is really not very secure if someone can see those logs...

So. Does ZEITGEIST put logs in my HOME folder or not?

Thanks!!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Zeitgeist

The zeitgeist logs are located in ~/.cache/zeitgeist. Why?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Thanks man.
    I just had a bad feeling that something could leek out from my enrypted profile...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Why is Zeitgeist necessary? This is a real concern for the truly paranoid such as myself. I just removed it via Synaptic while logged into a classic Gnome session. So did I bork my Unity desktop by doing that? If so, it's definitely something I can live with.

Edit: Unity still works. Files and Folders icon removed from side panel. Yay!
    Last edited by djchandler; May 27th, 2011 at 10:21 AM.
    Reading Sticky Threads is informative and saves time.

Beans

Greetings,

This is a real concern for the truly paranoid such as myself
    Your not truly paranoid, you are only pretend paranoid! I am however truly paranoid and I keep my sensitive data in a Truecrypt file. Zeitgeist won't log a opened file from a Truecrypt directory once the Truecrypt file has been closed. Try it! However individual programs may log recent files themselves without the help of Zeitgeist. Example VLC Media Player will log a media file opened from Truecrypt. So in Preferences uncheck "show recently opened media". Same with you file editor. Point is that Zeitgeist does some really helpful stuff and there will usually be unwanted consequences. Complete removal of the program is kind of radical when a truly paranoid person is going to use more secure measures for delicate information anyway. Problem is that just because a truly paranoid person can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there! As they say "even though you may not be paranoid, doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you".
    tlcstat
    Last edited by howefield; August 20th, 2016 at 03:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by djchandler View Post
    Why is Zeitgeist necessary? This is a real concern for the truly paranoid such as myself. I just removed it via Synaptic while logged into a classic Gnome session. So did I bork my Unity desktop by doing that? If so, it's definitely something I can live with.

Edit: Unity still works. Files and Folders icon removed from side panel. Yay!
    So, Zeitgeist isn't really needed on your system? What does Zeitgeist have
    to do with Unity in the first place?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Zeitgeist will show you most used and recently open files and folders when you click the Files & Folders icon in the Launcher

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by cariboo907 View Post
    Zeitgeist will show you most used and recently open files and folders when you click the Files & Folders icon in the Launcher
    Ok, thanks! And what if you're not using Unity?