Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Installing Ubuntu 11.04 onto an external HDD and make it boot off it

Beans

Re: Installing Ubuntu 11.04 onto an external HDD and make it boot off it

Quote Originally Posted by meanpt View Post
    How do you get five primary partitions in one hd?
    You don't, you create no more than 3 primary partitions and one extended partition which can contain a lot of logical partitions:

Screenshot--dev-sda - GParted.jpg

beew is offline Iced Blended Vanilla Crème Ubuntu
    Beans

I have one primary partition for Maverik's / partition (Mav controls grub), everything else is in a big extended partition and they are all logical partitions.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I will try with a recent daily build and post back.
    Howzit! 8) Ubuntu User #21505 Registered Linux user #408849

Beans
    Distro

Sorry guys, did not work at all. Used a fresh CDimage from the link provided (build 26-04-2011, 1PM)
    (1) I placed the bootloader on /dev/sdb but did want to boot--blinking cursor only
    (2) I then reinstalled, this time placing the bootloader on /dev/sdb5 (this is the / directory of Ubuntu install; sdb6 is swap)--still no luck with booting; only blinking cursor
    My machine is a Dell Vostro 3700 with Nvidia Geforce graphics card (discrete)--could this be the problem??
    Do I have to tell Ubuntu where the MBR on the external USB HDD is? because this drive has never been in a Windows machine before? Do I have to install Windows on it first?

Ok, now I am getting edgy...

Beans

It seems that your model may not work on Linux because of the hybrid graphic card.

http://forums.nvidia.com/index.php?showtopic=193271

Beans

I have a dual HDD external enclosure with 2 320Gb WD HDDs in it. You can have an awful lot of OS' on there. I never had more than 21.

Not using it now as my interest in Ubuntu is about shot but it is a handy deal for testing. You can have several nearly identical installs and test just one variable per OS. Great if using pre-release programs on pre-release OS'.

Ran with that on all the time for 3 testing cycles using one of 2 "pure" installs (one funny add ones) as my main OS running boinc full blast (cpu as 99-100% all the time. Rarely booted to my internals at all.

Boinc is a great way to put stress on an OS. If it will continue to work and do what you want to do while doing that heavy duty number crunching you have a pretty stable OS. I kept 2 OS' for my main so that I could be sure that 1 always worked.

The other installs were for, besides programs or features from ppas, Lubuntu and Xubuntu. If you have the space you can find reasons for having a lot of installs for testing.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    You don't, you create no more than 3 primary partitions and one extended partition which can contain a lot of logical partitions:

Screenshot--dev-sda - GParted.jpg
    Or, and I am not recommending this, you can just format your whole drive as one extended partition. All mine are that way.

You can ruin a drive, or in my case 3, very easily doing this until you;
    a>get the process right
    b>come to your senses and just partition like normal folks

I stick with "a". I like the extreme flexibility it gives me.
    Dell 480 XPS 3G ram Quad Core 2.40GHz, Radeon HD 2400 PRO, Audigy1, 3x320G HDD, 320G External, Debian Testing for use, Debian Squeeze for secure use, Debian Sid for FUN

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by shuttleworthwannabe View Post
    Sorry guys, did not work at all. Used a fresh CDimage from the link provided (build 26-04-2011, 1PM)
    (1) I placed the bootloader on /dev/sdb but did want to boot--blinking cursor only
    (2) I then reinstalled, this time placing the bootloader on /dev/sdb5 (this is the / directory of Ubuntu install; sdb6 is swap)--still no luck with booting; only blinking cursor
    My machine is a Dell Vostro 3700 with Nvidia Geforce graphics card (discrete)--could this be the problem??
    Do I have to tell Ubuntu where the MBR on the external USB HDD is? because this drive has never been in a Windows machine before? Do I have to install Windows on it first?

Ok, now I am getting edgy...
    You do have your bios to boot from the usb devicce first? I would double check that.

If you do, and the bugger just won't do it, run the boot info script from the live CD and send the results.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post
    You do have your bios to boot from the usb devicce first? I would double check that.

If you do, and the bugger just won't do it, run the boot info script from the live CD and send the results.

It is a graphic card problem. See my link.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ranch hand View Post

BIOS is setup to boot from USB external drive (F12 Boot Options).

I will try the bootinfoscript--do you know how to run this script (execute) the commends in the script? In LiveCD mode, where do I save the script file? and How do I run this script?

Thanks
    S

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast