Thread: Question about colors in laptops

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question about colors in laptops

Hi. I like the way system76 PC's are built (they are pretty sturdy and well built), but I have curiosity about something I noticed. You see I noticed that your (and ZaReason's) laptops come only in black, with the only exception being the quite "under-specced" netbooks (1024x600, 2GB RAM max, netbook atom CPU, intel netbook IGP) which come partially colored (some parts of the carcass, like the keyboard, bottom and frontal part of the lid. Are black). And wanted to know. Is there anything that prevents building colored laptops/fully colored netbooks with nettop MB/CPU/Ion2 GPU? Is it true that OEM's cannot build colored laptops unless they agree to use low specs (celeron/single core CPU, 2GB RAM max, low performance IGP) and preinstall only ******* in any laptop they intend to sell in colors and that they have to leave at least one section of the carcass black?
    Thanks.
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Question about colors in laptops

I think it actually has to do with demand; it really takes a lot of demand to ship a product in multiple finishes. Dell can do it because they do ship lots of computers, but we're a bit small right now. Give it a year, and things will probably be different.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

But that doesn't explain why the netbook does come in another color, but not the laptops. What is so different between them (besides specs)? Also why it also affects ZaReason in the same way? Also why Dell only colors the back of the lid (see my other thread)
    "Some people says that if you run a Microsoft Midori iso backwards you will hear demon voices commanding you to worship Satan". But that's nothing. If you run it forward it will install Microsoft Midori.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I wouldn't think of the Starling as coming in a two colors, rather as coming in two finishes. One of the finishes happens to be red, and the other black.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!