Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best compatibility with Ubuntu : Macbook, Macbook Air or Macbook Pro?

Beans

Re: Best compatibility with Ubuntu : Macbook, Macbook Air or Macbook Pro?

Quote Originally Posted by pauljwells View Post
    @itsmrjon - Loved your post! May I ask what config you use for Eclipse/Photran? I assume it's for Fortran development?
    I absolutely adore Eclipse's refactoring tools, search functions, declaration highlighting, which is why i go through the hassle of using it! It's a pain to edit files locally, and then pass them over to the clusters!!!

As far as my config... Well I'm a minimalist.

Eclipse core ( minus all the stuff its packaged with)
    CDT - C Development
    Photran - FORTRAN development
    PTP (w/ MPI support) - Parallel Tools

Our lab's in house codes are all written in F77/F90. Those are the only codes I really need to spend time working on, since they're not very user friendly. We literally have libraries upon libraries of code from PhD thesis, Masters thesis, and various other things. It's hard to keep track of the stuff some times!

I tend not to do much C in eclipse, because they only C i really work with is in OpenFOAM, and it's usually sufficient to do that with nano since i rarely need to write a solver, usually only have to set up cases or grids.

Know of any good solutions for revision tracking?/collaboration I need to implement something soon before I lose my mind. Alot of the stuff out there for mainstream software dev's doesnt seem too friendly for research style operations.
    Last edited by itsmrjon; April 30th, 2011 at 01:02 AM.

Beans

Re: Best compatibility with Ubuntu : Macbook, Macbook Air or Macbook Pro?

Hi itsmrjon,

I hope you are still active on this forum. Your last point was very useful. I am also using openFoam on a daily basis and I am considering getting a macbook air (for travelling/working from home). At the moment, I am sure about the following specs: 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD; but I am not sure about the processor. The standard laptop comes with an i5, is it worth spending £100 to upgrade to an i7?
    Thanks in advance.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12