Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Remove Alpha 3 and Start Beta 1 a month earlier?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Remove Alpha 3 and Start Beta 1 a month earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by MacUntu View Post
    I'd predict more ranting than testing, because Beta seems to be the milestone where a lot of unexperienced users start using the system.

It also seems wrong to me to make substantial changes to a system if it's in its beta state.
    Unexperienced users are what's needed to test a system like this, that's what usability-testing is all about.

But I agree that major changes shouldn't happen once something is in beta. It's conflicting forces though, normal users rarely pick up alphas because of fear it'll break, yet that is what is needed for UI-changes to happen. How to adress this problem?
    "Act only according to that maxim by which you can also will that it would become a universal law." - Immanuel Kant
    "Beware of he who would deny you access to information, for in his heart he dreams himself your master." - Pravin Lal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Remove Alpha 3 and Start Beta 1 a month earlier?

Quote Originally Posted by ZarathustraDK View Post
    It's conflicting forces though, normal users rarely pick up alphas because of fear it'll break, yet that is what is needed for UI-changes to happen. How to adress this problem?
    But surely the UI changes in beta don't have to be that drastic?

We'd have 1 month between alpha 2 and beta 1 to report and fix bugs, and between beta 1 and beta 2 to fix ui issues and onwards towards RC to further iron out bugs,

Quote Originally Posted by tgm4883 View Post
    You can do this yourself

Code:
    mv natty-alpha3.iso natty-beta1.iso
    And tell me again, how does this cut alpha development of ubuntu back a month and increase usability testing and fixes by a month?
    Last edited by ikt; April 28th, 2011 at 03:21 AM.
    // Blog

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12