** Updated for fglrx 8.840 **
Alberto Milone has pushed a new fglrx-installer. See here for more details: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1717755
It looks like it's pretty much compatible with xserver 1.10 and kernel 2.6.38 (bit daft if it isn't ). Nice.
Next up, fglrx with kernel 2.6.39.
** Manual build instructions for historical and reference purposes **
1) Download and extract 11.3 from AMD.
2) Apply the patch attached here
3) Build packages
1) Once downloaded:
$ sh ./ati-driver-installer-11-3-x86.x86_64.run --extract [name of directory e.g. ~/temp/ati]
This will extract the files so we can patch and build manually.
2) Download and apply the patch from here to [dir]/common/lib/modules/fglrx/build_mod/firegl_public.c (or use the attached file at your own risk).
3) In the folder you extracted the files (let's call it ~/temp/ati/) run:
$ ./ati-installer.sh 8.831.2 --buildpkg Ubuntu/natty
This will place packages in the parent directory (e.g. ~/temp/)
4) In ~/temp/ (or wherever you put the files):
$ sudo dpkg -i *.deb
If you haven't already got an xorg.conf you will need to run:
$ sudo aticonfig --initial