Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Which is a better processor?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Which is a better processor?

Quote Originally Posted by Vaphell View Post
    google 'e350 vs i3' - you'll get plenty of benchmarks. That should help you make up your mind.
    I have but the i3 they're keep comparing it to isn't the one in the Asus above. i3-380UM

Quote Originally Posted by BlacqWolf View Post
    To me, no matter what the configuration or the operating system, it seems like AMD is fast and smooth, while I wait forever for an operation to complete on Intel. My old computer with a single core AMD Sempron 2.0GHz runs faster than my new one with 4 Intel i7 processors @ 2.4GHz. (and the hard disk read/write speeds and video cards are very close as well, and they both run Ubuntu so it must be the processor.)
    Wait what!? one SINGLE core is better out your QUAD core? That seems impossible!... you must've cast a spell on your AMD

Beans

I'd get the Intel. Overall, it is a bit better - and the TDP is about the same too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Intel chip for sure. Better performance and likely better battery life even at the same TDP. But neither of those chips are designed for heavy usage/speed. The Intel chip is the super low voltage series, using the new chipset and 32nm die. So it's got very good performance at low power but it's SPEED is low. Depends what you are doing with it, but out of those options, Intel for sure.
    Intel Core i7 970 6/12 (Cores/Threads) 3.2GHz 12MB Cache
    6GB DDR3
    1866MHz RAM | ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB GDDR5
    60GB SSD
    (/) | 1TB 64MB Cache HDD (/home)
    Ubuntu Oneiric
    Ocelot 11.10 x64

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Awesome!! guys thanks for the help! I love intel

solved(:

Quote Originally Posted by BlacqWolf View Post
    To me, no matter what the configuration or the operating system, it seems like AMD is fast and smooth, while I wait forever for an operation to complete on Intel. My old computer with a single core AMD Sempron 2.0GHz runs faster than my new one with 4 Intel i7 processors @ 2.4GHz. (and the hard disk read/write speeds and video cards are very close as well, and they both run Ubuntu so it must be the processor.)
    Hmmm not sure about the Sempron being that fast. I have two laptops. One is a 1,7GHz dual core, the first ones Intel brought out and I can honestly say my 2.1 GHz Sempron can't keep up. I only use the Sempron when I'm gaming though, because the graphics chip is a lot better. But it struggles in Windows and Ubuntu now and again, even with 3GB of Ram.
    Personal blog: http://gigiaut.tumblr.com/
    Gigitsu blog: http://gigitsu.tumblr.com/

Gigitsu ~ The gentle artist

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12