Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: can we upgrade from 32 bit 10.10 to 64 bits without fresh install ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

can we upgrade from 32 bit 10.10 to 64 bits without fresh install ?

hi guys,
    here i am asking a wierd question...
    i am usuing 32 bits 10.10 and its functioning perfectly well with my customization and apps that i need for my day to day activity.
    i wanted to ask can i upgrade it to 64 bits without going thru the process of fresh install ? if i can then how do i go about the process.

apart from ubuntu base apps, i am using wine 1.3 for some windows apps. will the programs go buggy or will it adapt to 64 bits seamlessly after the upgrade ?

i wish to try 64 bits to feel the difference... nothing specific on 64 bits usage (my current 32 bit is working fine as of now) i honestly hope i dont have to go thru the process of fresh install !!!
    Ubuntu + Linux = UbunTux !!! Gr8 combo !!!

Beans

Re: can we upgrade from 32 bit 10.10 to 64 bits without fresh install ?

I am quite sure you will need to do a fresh install.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I am quite sure you will need to do a fresh install.
    if i go for fresh install, it means i have to install wine and other progs fresh all over again, right ?
    moreover, what happens to my home directory partition ? does it need to be recreated or it will sync with 64 bits ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

+1 on a fresh install is your only option. Sorry!

The Hedge

Look at all those flashing lights! I'll take one!

The Ubuntu Forums - our little Global Village

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Quote Originally Posted by rvchari View Post
    if i go for fresh install, it means i have to install wine and other progs fresh all over again, right ?
    moreover, what happens to my home directory partition ? does it need to be recreated or it will sync with 64 bits ?
    correcto man.. sorry. At the very least you can just write down a list of everything you need before you do your fresh install so you can be sure that you don't miss anything and also, be sure to back up anything you need, files wise.

Quote:
    Originally Posted by rvchari
    correcto man.. sorry. At the very least you can just write down a list of everything you need before you do your fresh install so you can be sure that you don't miss anything and also, be sure to back up anything you need, files wise.
    Back your data up before doing a fresh install. If done correctly and you have a separate home partition, it should be fine, but things do not always go as planned.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

fresh install for sure. don't recommed to install the 64 version if everything is working fine for since for the 64bit the solutions are a lit bit different and slower to handle if you have a problem. check the forum!

blog
    Donations BTC : 12FwoB7uAM5FnweykpR1AEEDVFaTLTYFkS
    DOUBLEPLUSGOOD!!

Beans

You can back up the hidden configuration in your home folder. That doesnt mean it will work right though there is a good chance it will.

Beans

Make sure you do not format your /home partition just reinstall to your root partition and make sure format /home is unchecked.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by ghostborg View Post
    Make sure you do not format your /home partition just reinstall to your root partition and make sure format /home is unchecked.
    i have a seperate home partition. i think i ll follow this method. by the way, how do i go abt it ? just boot of the 64 bit iso and go for fresh install in the root partition ? or is there a sudo apt-get upgrade command line ?
    Last edited by rvchari; April 25th, 2011 at 11:37 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast