Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: can we upgrade from 32 bit 10.10 to 64 bits without fresh install ?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: can we upgrade from 32 bit 10.10 to 64 bits without fresh install ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You'll see people say you should upgrade and those who say not. I'm not an engineer that could say definitively. I did go to 64. I backed up home to another drive. During the 64 bit install from the iso I was given a choice to upgrade and try to not loose any files or settings. I chose not to do that but rather a clean install. I then copied back my documents, pictures and music. I didn't know if there would be a difference in settings for some things and didn't know for sure that the saving settings wouldn't end up causing problems. Also, part of doing this for me was to clean things up from much noob dinking that left me with who knows what for settings even if I wasn't having any big problems. Going 64 bit was just an extra for me. It hasn't led to any problems for me and I may have better performance but I don't have any hard data to back that up.
    Jim
    Toshiba Satellite L505-S6946
    Precise, Fedora, Kororaa, Bodhi

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by Blasphemist View Post
    You'll see people say you should upgrade and those who say not. I'm not an engineer that could say definitively. I did go to 64. I backed up home to another drive. During the 64 bit install from the iso I was given a choice to upgrade and try to not loose any files or settings. I chose not to do that but rather a clean install. I then copied back my documents, pictures and music. I didn't know if there would be a difference in settings for some things and didn't know for sure that the saving settings wouldn't end up causing problems. Also, part of doing this for me was to clean things up from much noob dinking that left me with who knows what for settings even if I wasn't having any big problems. Going 64 bit was just an extra for me. It hasn't led to any problems for me and I may have better performance but I don't have any hard data to back that up.
    i ll follow what you say and with your experience...

will do it soon and post on this thread....
    Ubuntu + Linux = UbunTux !!! Gr8 combo !!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12