Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Install Problem

Beans

Unhappy Install Problem

I'm currently installing Ubuntu 10.04 on my machine as a dualboot with Vista from a USB. As soon as it opened, it automatically started (from what I assume) loading from USB with no command. It started running script on the screen and I remember it saying something about selecting choice #1 from option one. Now it erased the script and is a blank, black screen and has been for almost 30 minutes. So wtf is going on? How do I fix it?

Beans

Re: Install Problem

Which Ubuntu 10.04 image file did you use in the USB?
    If it was the usual Desktop version (and not the 'Alternate') then what is probably happening is simply that it is trying to start a 'Live' session. This is the default for the Desktop Version (option #1 maybe?).

Depending on the machine you are using, particularly the amount of RAM memory, then starting a live session can take some time. In very slow, old machines I may get, with 256MB ram, 15 minutes is typical.
    However if you have a younger PC and have say 1GB ram, it should be up and running in less than 5 minutes.

If you are being unlucky with your type of machine, then some edit of the initial boot script may be useful, or other things, to accommodate the graphics chips maybe.

Oh, an dnot least, at this stage consier using the initial live CD boot menu to run 'Check this CD for errors' in case your drive s sticking occasionally etc.

With a Desktop Live CD you get the initial boot menu by hitting a key immediately you see some crypic symbols at the bottom of the screen early in CD boot.
    Last edited by candtalan; April 24th, 2011 at 07:16 PM. Reason: typos

Beans

The one I am on right now is the one directly from the website when you click the orange butt after selecting the 10.04 LTS. I want to say its the x.2 version, but I could be mistaken. This is the exact script:
    [241.810911] usb 2-9: usb disconnect, address 6
    [241.xxxxxx] new low speed usb device usiinng ohci_hcd and adress 6
    [241.xxxxxx] Configuration #1 chosen from option 1

Then it started going on some rampage that couldn't read.

CPU specs are 3GB DDR2 dual-channel, 1TB hard drive, AMD Athlon 64 x2 6000+

Beans
    Hidden!

How did you make the USB? Did you use UNetbootin?
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

No support requests by PM please.

Beans

I used the one that they reccomended on the site. I forgot the name of it.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mattxhand View Post
    The one I am on right now is the one directly from the website when you click the orange butt after selecting the 10.04 LTS. I want to say its the x.2 version, but I could be mistaken.
    That sounds like the Desktop version 10.04.2 (second image including updates, of 10.04) which should be no worry.
    I will try to burn a 10.04.2 from the image I have and see if I can compare the text lists you see...

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by mattxhand View Post
    I used the one that they reccomended on the site. I forgot the name of it.
    That would be the "Universal USB Installer". Some people have problems with that one. If candtalan isn't able to help you, you could try making the USB with UNetbootin http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/.

Also check the MD5 of the iso image you downloaded.

Edit: Sometimes the iso download from the main server can be corrupted during the transfer. That is why I use the alternate download option on the Ubuntu page and select a torrent (http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/get-ub...ve-download#bt) to download from. You would want to select this torrent ubuntu-10.04.2-desktop-i386.iso.torrent. It is also faster to download that way.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; April 24th, 2011 at 08:06 PM.
    Use whatever OS or desktop works for you. Dual boot or use VMs if you want. Backup your computer regularly, and definitely before upgrading, partitioning, or installing an OS.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Gray_Wolf View Post
    That would be the "Universal USB Installer". Some people have problems with that one.
    Ah that makes sense, I have sometimes had that not work for me too. I did not know what the solution was, I simply went and used unetbootin instead.

I have burned a CD just now but have not proceeded further because I think it will be more useful to follow the other suggestions.

Maybe check the downloaded image file first?
    This site seems useful but I have never used it:
    http://www.md5summer.org/

Then maybe use netbootin. First download it, install it in windows and use it to re create the usb stick?
    I have always found unetbootin to make good bootable drives.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by candtalan View Post
    Maybe check the downloaded image file first?
    This site seems useful but I have never used it:
    http://www.md5summer.org/
    I was hoping someone would post a link for checking MD5sum on Microsoft Windows. I have never had to do that since I use torrents for iso downloads. I would have thought that an MD5 checking application would come with the default Windows installation; however, I don't use Windows very often anymore.
    Last edited by Old_Grey_Wolf; April 24th, 2011 at 09:05 PM.

Beans

Well I just attempted UBootin and I started from scratch. Used it to download 10.04.2, formatted a new removable drive, and ran through the program. I rebooted when it said to do so, and I booted from the drive. The black and blue screen popped up and said "Default download in 10...9...8..." so I let it do its thing. It froze after about 30 seconds of loading. I went back and chose to check the disk for errors and it found two. I don't really know what else to do.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast