Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toshiba Portege R835, getting suspend working on Ubuntu 10.10.

Beans

Smile Toshiba Portege R835, getting suspend working on Ubuntu 10.10.

It appears adding USB3 to the blacklist is the solution for suspend.

Code:
    echo blacklist xhci_hcd | sudo tee -a /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf >/dev/null
    I'll update this thread if I discover anything else that needs to be tweaked.

Hat Tip -> Thanks pr0grammer1 on this thread for the idea and command even though he intended to target different hardware.
    Last edited by hedrinbc; April 23rd, 2011 at 04:40 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: Toshiba Portege R835, getting suspend working on Ubuntu 10.10.

Problem is that USB-3 gets disabled...
    So my guess is that you won't be able to see the benefits of high-speed tranfers with USB-3 devices.

Beans

How well does ubuntu work on the r835 overall? I am thinking of getting one, and ubuntu compatibility is an important factor in my decision.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by willsomebody View Post
    How well does ubuntu work on the r835 overall? I am thinking of getting one, and ubuntu compatibility is an important factor in my decision.
    I bought one last week, and hope to receive it soon.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Talking Re: Toshiba Portege R835, getting suspend working on Ubuntu 10.10.

Quote Originally Posted by svast View Post
    I bought one last week, and hope to receive it soon.
    I would love a follow-up once you get the computer and get it running!

Beans
    Distro

delivery a bit delayed, but be sure I will post my follow-up

Beans
    Distro

Exclamation Re: Toshiba Portege R835, getting suspend working on Ubuntu 10.10.

Quote Originally Posted by regiomontanus View Post
    I would love a follow-up once you get the computer and get it running!
    I got mine: Toshiba Satellite R830-136 with 128GB SSD, now running Ubuntu 11.04 natty narwhal, everything seems to be working out of the box:
    - integrated Display
    - sound
    - wifi
    - ethernet 1GB
    - webcam
    - trackpad with 2 finger-scrolling
    - Fn-xx keys for sound, etc.
    The battery time is amazing, and the SSD makes that laptop very fast (that way I can confirm that the bottleneck usually is the HDD).

VGA and HDMI: not working out of the box with Unity. I can't get it to work with external VGA nor HDMI at full external display resolution (I have a full-HD 1920x1080 monitor). I think this is a bug in sandy bridge driver for Compiz or whatsoever, Ubuntu did not integrate the latest intel drivers yet.
    If I start the session with "Classic (no effects)", VGA/HDMI output is perfect.

One bad thing: external display:
    Last edited by svast; May 22nd, 2011 at 05:08 PM. Reason: news for external display

Beans

Re: Toshiba Portege R835, getting suspend working on Ubuntu

On 11.04, Toshiba Portege R835-P50X (Core i3 processor for the longer battery life, rather than the zippier i5) with 32GB SSD, which is fine - 16GB for the distro, 16GB for virtualbox vdi files like running Win7 inside.

All hardware working except USB 3.0 not at all, WD MyBook 3TB or the 4-port hub I bought. USB 2 is fine.

Routinely get 8 hours of battery life and boot time is 4-5 seconds.

Am looking around for a solution - might be the "fix" they had to make to get suspend working.

Beans

I am planning to buy Toshiba Portege R835-P56X. I would love to know whether anyone has used Ubuntu 10.04 LTS on this machine ? Has all the compatibility issues with Ubuntu (freezing and fan speed problems) been finally solved ?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by svast View Post
    I got mine: Toshiba Satellite R830-136 with 128GB SSD, now running Ubuntu 11.04 natty narwhal, everything seems to be working out of the box:
    - integrated Display
    - sound
    - wifi
    - ethernet 1GB
    - webcam
    - trackpad with 2 finger-scrolling
    - Fn-xx keys for sound, etc.
    The battery time is amazing, and the SSD makes that laptop very fast (that way I can confirm that the bottleneck usually is the HDD).

VGA and HDMI: not working out of the box with Unity. I can't get it to work with external VGA nor HDMI at full external display resolution (I have a full-HD 1920x1080 monitor). I think this is a bug in sandy bridge driver for Compiz or whatsoever, Ubuntu did not integrate the latest intel drivers yet.
    If I start the session with "Classic (no effects)", VGA/HDMI output is perfect.

One bad thing: external display:
    I'm running a portege R835 P50X and I cant get dvd to work, usb either or wifi sort of I'm running in virtual box so somehow windows hands over the wifi as a hard line anyone have any idea why the dvd isn't working tho?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast