Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Samsung series 9

Quote Originally Posted by jele View Post
    So I did a reinstall of Ubuntu, this time with "CSM OS" setting on the boot tab of BIOS.
    And I have my keyboard backlight

mikl-dk thank you a million times!!
    Yes, you have to do a reinstall. (To verify if CSM would work, I changed the setting to CSM and then booted a Live USB and did the necessary changes to activate the Fn keys with
    Code:
    udevadm control --reload-rules
    instead of reboot and it worked - so I did a reinstall and it worked.)

You are welcome .

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by kev000 View Post
    I'm noticing bad wifi performance using 12.10 and the open source broadcom driver. Does the closed-source one work better?

Yes, I have a Samsung np900 x4c 12.04 xubuntu and it turns out there are issues with linux support of the n band on this wifi card ( Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235):

http://www.childsplay.mobi/blog/?p=165

You can test this with the following command:
    Code:
    sudo modprobe iwlwifi 11n_disable=1
    I literally just figured this out, I'm in a coffee shop with N band wireless and was getting poor performance. Disabling the n band solved the problem.
    Last edited by senorgomez; January 14th, 2013 at 10:08 PM.

Beans

Hi guys,

I think im running a power issue on my laptop. I constantly have messages like this on my dmesg:
    [79791.789414] CPU0: Package power limit notification (total events = 40453)After searching around the web, i concluded that maybe its a problem of cooling
    of my laptop. My samsung is a SS9 NP900x4c and since i bought it, i noticed that it
    isnt really silent as i thought it was!

Some of you also have this a message like this? What temperature are you running
    your SS9 NP900x4c??

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by khenobr View Post
    Hi guys,

I think im running a power issue on my laptop. I constantly have messages like this on my dmesg:
    [79791.789414] CPU0: Package power limit notification (total events = 40453)After searching around the web, i concluded that maybe its a problem of cooling
    of my laptop. My samsung is a SS9 NP900x4c and since i bought it, i noticed that it
    isnt really silent as i thought it was!

Some of you also have this a message like this? What temperature are you running
    your SS9 NP900x4c??
    Yes, I have the same messages with an NP900X3D... Temperature is between 50 and 60°C and the notebook isn't really silent as well...

Beans

Hi,

I've had a 900X4D for a couple of months running Win 7. To avoid issues I'm running Ubuntu 12.10 using VirtualBox.
    It would be nice to get rid of Windows, but I'm being turned off by the not-so-good Ubuntu support.

How do I go about installing Ubuntu and still be able to do a full factory restore? From what I've read, there is a 20GB recovery disk. If I leave this be when installing Ubuntu, will I be able to do a full recovery?

Thanks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi guys.

I'm planning on buying an NP900X3CA01SA in about a week and I only use linux on my computers. So linux compatibility is almost the only decision-maker for me to buy this laptop. I need you guys to let me know if I should buy this computer or not depending on your experiences with its linux compatibility. I'm ok with the lid close problem (not suspending) and battery status problem (charging, discharging) but I've come across with two important issues on this forum and one other which are the wireless issues and the random system-freeze problem. These are real deal-breakers for me, especially the random system freezes. That actually is the reason why I want to replace my current laptop. So please let me know if these issues do exist and if they do, how to fix them if possible.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Aksoy; January 26th, 2013 at 09:06 AM.

Beans

I've had the system freeze problem earlier but not for several month now, maybe resolved in some update.

Wireless is not very good, dropouts every now and then but I count on this getting better for each new kernel update in the future. It doesn't bother me as much as the system freezes did.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by arune View Post
    I've had the system freeze problem earlier but not for several month now, maybe resolved in some update.

Wireless is not very good, dropouts every now and then but I count on this getting better for each new kernel update in the future. It doesn't bother me as much as the system freezes did.
    During the last few months which you did not have the system freeze problem, have you left your computer on for more than a day or two? Because with the computer that I currently have, system freezes sometimes happen after a day, 2 or 3 days. By the way if you don't mind, can you briefly describe what happens when system freeze occurs. If it's similar to the ones that I'm having, I think it may be impossible to be fixed since I presume the reason for the system freezes that I'm having are caused by the video card and I've been struggling for a year to solve it without any luck. Also can you describe the wireless problem in a bit more details. Do disconnections while downloading stuff occur or is it just some speed problem?

Thanks.
    Last edited by Aksoy; January 27th, 2013 at 07:17 PM.

Beans

Oh, I almost never turn off the computer, but it's in suspend when I don't use it. (Normally it's in suspend 22h hours per day)

Suspend always work great by the way.

Code:
    arune@900x:~$ uptime 
     19:29:38 up 22 days,  1:01,  7 users,  load average: 0.76, 0.41, 0.29
    If I remember correctly, the picture froze, I could not move mouse or use keyboard. I think I tried to ping and ssh to it but failed both. Since this was a few month ago I'm not really sure though.

I have not checked up on the wireless issue much, I get the notification from network-manager that the wireless is disconnected and a few seconds later I get a new notification saying it's connected again. During the dropout no bytes are transfered.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thank you for your reply.

The uptime is pretty high and since you have not encountered any freezes I guess that problem does not exist anymore. Hopefully Also about the wireless, do those problems still occur and if they do how frequently do they occur? Do your downloads get interrupted? And finally does the wireless problem get really annoying to the point where it makes you regret buying this laptop? I know it sounds funny but I've had this feeling a thousand times with my current laptop and I finally want to be satisfied with my computer.

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Aksoy; January 27th, 2013 at 08:01 PM.

Page 29 of 33 FirstFirst ... 192728293031 ... LastLast