Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Re: Samsung series 9

Quote Originally Posted by dliouville View Post
    I was with 11.4 upgraded to 11.10, I decided to reinstall 11.10 from scratch and it's better but not perfect. Fan speed is accurate when temperature seems to be "normal" but if fan speed ran the max it never go back to normal, then I use samsung-tools to reset speed.

Battery life is very poor ... around 4 hours with no bluetooth and no wifi ... but I don't want to reinstall windows ................. just hope this hardware get better support.
    Out of interest, how many hours of battery life do you guys get under Windows?

Quote Originally Posted by dliouville View Post
    Fan speed is accurate when temperature seems to be "normal" but if fan speed ran the max it never go back to normal, then I use samsung-tools to reset speed.
    I was wondering how you set fan speed? On my laptop, samsung-tools says "CPU fan control is not available":

$ samsung-tools -c silent
    CPU Temperature: 64.0 °C
    CPU fan control is not available

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by TomaszC View Post
    Out of interest, how many hours of battery life do you guys get under Windows?
    in windows 4h30 of normal use
    about 7h with wifi off and keyboard and screen with min bright

in linux 11.10 ker 3.0 i had 3h max batt life
    in linux 11.04 ker 2.6 i had 5h max batt life

it seems like windows have a better power settings
    love ubuntu but i get a premium laptop and windows is now better os to take the best of it

Beans

Have any of you got HDMI to work on 11.10? For me it works if I connect a HDMI->DVI adapter and than to an external monitor with a DVI cable. But if I connect a HDMI cable directly into the monitors HDMI input it doesn't work. Looks like I need another driver for this?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by michel.kluger View Post

love ubuntu but i get a premium laptop and windows is now better os to take the best of it
    I've just installed a 2.6.39.4 kernel from here:

http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v2.6.39.4-oneiric/

And battery life is up to 2 hours more than with 3.x kernels, with Ubuntu 11.10 (you may need to hold shift during booting, to launch grub and choose a kernel).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by michel.kluger View Post

I am running Debian testing on a 900X1B and I had the same problem. I think the same solution applies to the 900X3 model and Ubuntu.

If you are using a recent kernel (>= 2.6.38) you will experience the effects of the so called "Linux power regression" (which is not a Linux regression at all, see for example http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=article&item=linux_2638_aspm&num=1): high cpu temperature, a lot of fan noise and short battery life.

This is due to the fact that in recent kernels the Active-State Power Management is not used by default to avoid problems with misconfigured BIOS.

This page http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...15_power&num=1 explains which parameters to pass to the kernel to address this problem lowering the CPU temperature, extending battery life and avoiding fan noise.

In the file /etc/default/grub (the location of this file may change depending on your distribution, but this is the correct directory for Debian and I guess it is the same for Ubuntu) I changed the line

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet"

to

GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 quiet"

and run

sudo update-grub

(or update-grub as root) and reboot.

Some of the settings above are the default for kernel 3.1 (look at the changelog).
    The settings above changed completely the behavior of my laptop: CPU temperature dropped by 15 °C, no fan noise and long battery life (I am currently at 33% remaining after about 4 hours),
    Last edited by ric900; November 14th, 2011 at 09:56 PM.

Beans

Thanks, it's really better with the phoronix options ... (not as well as windows can do but better than before).

@Calimannen : HDMI work out of the box, I use a micro-hdmi to hdmi cable with a samsung F2380 monitor.

Quote Originally Posted by ric900 View Post
    GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 quiet"
    Great tip!

It made me wonder if other modules have some power saving parameters not enabled by default. To do this, I've run the below to list all modules and their parameters, then grepped for "power":

MODULES=$(lsmod|awk '{print $1}')
    for MODULE in $MODULES; do echo $MODULE; modinfo $MODULE|grep -i power; done

As a result, with the kernel 3.1.1 from http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/, the "power-saving command line" is somewhat longer now (added one more i915 parameter, and also for the wireless card and the sound card):

pcie_aspm=force i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 i915.powersave=1 iwlagn.power_save=1 snd_hda_intel.power_save_controller=1 snd_hda_intel.power_save=1

As a result, with "battery life saving" enabled in BIOS (battery will only load up to 80%), I'm able to work about 4.5-5.5 hours on wireless, with fan being silent all of the time. I can imagine without "battery saving" in BIOS, the battery would last for 6-7 hours.

Other elements which save power:

- samsung-tools - disabling webcam and bluetooth,
    - powertop - setting all tunables to powersave ("Good"),
    - decreasing screen brightness,
    - setting microphone volume to mute and sound output volume to the minimum (i.e. mute when not in use) seems to save a bit, too.
    Last edited by TomaszC; November 15th, 2011 at 11:58 AM.

Beans

Hi,

I also have a samsung 900x3a with ubuntu 11.10 64bits.

I had the temperature and fan noise problem but modifying the Grub helped. I don't think it's as good as with ubuntu 11.04 (and the last Kernel) but still it's enough for now.

But I still got some wifi problem. I have the broadcom 43225 and tired with or without the sta driver and it's not really good. Most of the time I see all the network but when I trie to connect it take a VERY long time to connect (sometimes it just doesn't) and even connected to the wifi I in fact have no connection. (even with a ping to the router) If I trie again and again, sometimes I can be connected for a few minutes. So what I have to do is to connect my HTC desire with the cable and connect internet via my smartphone!!
    This is in the hotel I'm now. At home it's a bit better but still I have to restard the connection every 30 min. Well in fact it's not really stable.

Am I the only one with this. I read that other people have similar problem, does anyone have a solution??

Quote Originally Posted by gasuter View Post
    Am I the only one with this. I read that other people have similar problem, does anyone have a solution??
    I myself have Intel wireless.

Try installing 3.1.1: http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/ - usually, a newer kernel helps.

Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast