Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans

Re: Samsung series 9

First day with this baby on Gentoo, 3.2.2 kernel and samsung-laptop-dkms.git patch on top. Definitely glad I waited these 8 months (esp. on the price , most quirks seem to be finally on their way to being ironed out. This thing is running beautifully.

Trackpad is the biggest puzzle indeed, my first real multitouch pad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Unhappy Re: Samsung series 9

I compiled and installed a new 3.2.2 kernel (based on Ubuntu 3.2.0-13.22 kernel).

- The touchpad is now recognized as a touchpad (the touchpad option tab is now showing in the settings). Hooray, two-finger scrolling! But the touchpad is too quirky, and the "echo > modprobe" trick disables the multi-touch, so I opted for a usb-mouse and kept two-finger scrolling.

- I tried the samsung-laptop-dkms.git patch, didn't work. Keys not recognized after restart, keyboard light gone. Even after uninstalling the samsung-laptop kernel module the keyboard doesn't light up anymore.

Edit: I fixed the keyboard lights by re-installing the kernel.
    Last edited by Gibb; February 11th, 2012 at 07:40 PM.

Beans

Hi All,

If people are still struggling with Fn keys and such, please see my blog post:

http://jablonskis.org/2012/linux-and...top-9-fn-keys/

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Wink Re: Samsung series 9

Quote Originally Posted by vaijab View Post
    Hi All,

If people are still struggling with Fn keys and such, please see my blog post:

http://jablonskis.org/2012/linux-and...top-9-fn-keys/
    Thank you sir!

Tried it and it now all works! Had to restart the laptop after installing the samsung-laptop module to make the keyboard light work

Beans

Hey guys,
    just got Ubunutu 11.10 up and running on my Series 9 and everything seems to be working great.

This is what I did to solve my slow wifi issues.

Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/iwlagn.conf
    Added this line

Code:
    options iwlagn 11n_disable=1

Has anybody gotten the keyboard backlight to work yet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Question Re: Samsung series 9

Any benchmarks with Ubuntu 12.04 Beta 1?

Beans

Hello not to hijack this thread, but I see a lot of you were successful at installing ubuntu on your series 9, i'll just like to know how did you did it. I own a Series 7, my guess is the bios and architecture might be close.

Even with 10.10 Grub doesn't stick, now i'm not sure if it is because I select the 1TB for GRUB. I don't know if I have to turn off UEFI, when I do, after the install there's a black screen. I've also tried grub reinstall. what are your takes on this?

Here is the link to my thread.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=11740543

Beans

Question Re: Samsung series 9

Did anyone test the VGA adapter? It is sold separate to the computer and is very important for me. I am interested in the 900X1B (11", i3 CPU).

Thomas

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by netAction View Post
    Did anyone test the VGA adapter? It is sold separate to the computer and is very important for me. I am interested in the 900X1B (11", i3 CPU).

Thomas
    VGA adapter works fine on the 13" version. The hardware on the 11" is almost identical, I don't think you'll have a problem. If it's important for you, my wife has the 11", I can take it to a monitor and test it (I have the adapter).

I wouldn't recommend the i3, though. If you have access to Korea, buy an i5 version of the 11" there (more expensive, though) or go with the 13" i5. The performance difference is huge IMO. There are two exceptions: 1. If price is a huge issue, the 900X1B is sold at a great price now. 2. If you have (or have seen) an i3 laptop and are satisfied with the performance, the Samsung will be as good. Personally, I found it sluggish.

Beans

For me the touchpad is awful. I hope someone knows what's going on. The sensitivity is terrible. I need to lay my fingers on the touchpad to get it to register a touch instead of just lightly touching with the tip of my fingers. It's completely unusable. Anyone have similar issues? I've tried adjusting settings, but there is no difference. Using Precise nightly.

-J

Page 15 of 33 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast