Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Exclamation Samsung series 9

From what I can gather I will be putting together a list of issues or problems with using Ubuntu on the new Samsung Series 9.

Installation
    *From what I have read, due to the Sandy Bridge processor, it is highly recommended you use Natty Narwhal (11.04)

*Due to lack of Optical Drive, it is wise to use only the right USB port for bootable USB sticks, Ubuntu provides very thorough tutorial on steps to create it. From enough Googling, I found that Asus users have the same issues, it turns out there is only one USB port available to use for bootable media.

NOTE: MUST READ
    Install Maverick Meerkat (10.10) first, since USB install on the current builds are borked (Grub will not install correctly). So far after running
    Code:
    sudo update-manager -d
    Everything is superb and have not had any problems at all. This is amazing.

Display
    *I have not heard anything about problems with the display at this time.

Hibernate and Suspend
    Everything works fine except one thing, when it resumes from suspend, the brightness is set low, just use the Fn key to toggle it back, it should automatically re adjust back to where it was.

Trackpad
    *If you have a problem you can use the following method to enable right clicking:
    Code:
    sudo su
    echo options psmouse proto=exps > /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe
    reboot
    -OR-

Go to System>Preferences>Mouse and select "TouchPad" Tab and select 2 finger scrolling and 2 finger right click.

Keyboard and Backlight
    Backlit KB is permanent, no adjustment either. Volume and brightness hotkeys work fine.

Bluetooth
    I checked it, works fine, sent photos to my HTC Thunderbolt problem-free.

Wireless
    Works out of the box. (See Below)

Make sure to use the Proprietary drivers for the Broadcom chipset.
    System>Administration>Additional Drivers

Graphics
    Intel HD Graphics 3000
    *Not sure or aware of any problems. So far so good, using Ubuntu Classic Desktop.

HDMI
    Works flawlessly, I have heard of some issues with multiple monitors.

I will update this when people let me know what they are having problems with at this time.

Feel free to follow me on twitter to reach me.
    Last edited by b16a2smith; April 27th, 2011 at 08:34 PM.
    Follow me on Twitter!
    Or visit my blog (No Ads)

Beans
    Distro

Re: Samsung series 9

Hi!
    Great to hear that somebody has started this thread, I'm getting mine on the 8th of may, so I'll report any problems (and successes, of course) at around that time!

Beans

The laptop is very nice with Ubuntu 10.10. As the above post says, you have to install via the right USB 2.0 port, not the left USB 3.0 port. The installer shrunk the Windows 7 partition, and almost everything works except for suspend. You have to install the proprietary Broadcom STA wireless driver.

Wireless, video, sound, battery gauge, touchpad, micro-HDMI output are ok. Screen-brightness keys act weird, but xbacklight works. When I try to suspend, it immediately wakes up again.

$dmesg
    [ 278.075277] PM: Entering mem sleep
    [ 278.075336] Suspending console(s) (use no_console_suspend to debug)
    [ 278.075655] pm_op(): usb_dev_suspend+0x0/0x20 returns -2
    [ 278.075660] PM: Device usb3 failed to suspend async: error -2
    [ 278.117245] PM: Some devices failed to suspend
    [ 278.179938] PM: resume of devices complete after 62.801 msecs

$lsusb
    Bus 002 Device 003: ID 0a5c:219a Broadcom Corp.
    Bus 002 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    Bus 001 Device 003: ID 2232:1009
    Bus 001 Device 002: ID 8087:0024 Intel Corp. Integrated Rate Matching Hub
    Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
    I haven't figured out yet how to adjust the keyboard backlight.

Beans
    Distro

I cant get the grub to stick.
    Follow me on Twitter!

Beans
    Distro

Problem solved, check OP. Enjoy =)
    Follow me on Twitter!

Beans

I had a problem with the wifi with Natty.

On the liveUSB, everything worked fine, even without installing the additional driver. However, once installed, it didn't work. I tried to remove the package bcmwl-kernel-source, but the removal failed (I don't remember the error message, but it wasn't instructive).

Following the instructions of http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt (read the end), I did:
    sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source

And after that the wifi works. Hope it helps someone.

By the way, maybe it works for other laptops too, my lspci was:
    Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Pedroo View Post
    I had a problem with the wifi with Natty.

On the liveUSB, everything worked fine, even without installing the additional driver. However, once installed, it didn't work. I tried to remove the package bcmwl-kernel-source, but the removal failed (I don't remember the error message, but it wasn't instructive).

Following the instructions of http://www.broadcom.com/docs/linux_sta/README.txt (read the end), I did:
    sudo apt-get update sudo apt-get --reinstall install bcmwl-kernel-source

And after that the wifi works. Hope it helps someone.

By the way, maybe it works for other laptops too, my lspci was:
    Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM43225 802.11b/g/n (rev 01)
    That is really strange because I have not seen anyone have issues with wifi :/ if you want to put together a quick and easy tut for it let me know and I will update the op. Thanks!
    Follow me on Twitter!

Beans

Hi there.

Thanks for starting this thread.

I installed the 11.04 version on the day it came out (April 28), and had no problems with the installation.

The only problem Im facing is that after i run the command you give to fix the right mouse click problem, the trackpad sensitivity and acceleration are very low (the mouse moves very very slowly), and the options are not respected anymore. The trackpad tab on the mouse control panel also disappears, and the two finger scroll doesn't work anymore.

I found out that with 11.04 you can use the right mouse click if you use two fingers at the button.

For me at least is more important to have the scroll and correct mouse sensitivity/accelaration, than not being able to right mouse click with only one finger Don't know what other people think, but i though it would be better if they are informed of the consequences of running the above command

Beans

Using the official ISO on a bootable USB connected to the RIGHT USB port, I had no problem installing Natty. Running was mostly fine, with the following minor problems:
    -Sometimes, shutdown crashes with a kernel stack trace.
    -Sometimes resume hangs.
    -Hibernate doesn't seem to work.
    -Some of the special function keys don't work, e.g. the ones for dimming the keyboard backlight and the one for toggling WiFi.

Overall, it is very good looking and fast.

However, I ran into a ton of problems trying to make it dual-boot with Windows 7. The trouble is that Windows 7 does not deal with GPT whereas Ubiquity really likes to use GPT. At first, I tried to install a dual-boot configuration but everything I tried failed. grub-efi-amd64 fails to boot the Windows 7 partition. When I try to boot it from the grub menu, I get an error about "invalid EFI file path".

I finally gave up on GPT and decided to use MBR. I still had a GPT on the disc. Perhaps because of this, or because Ubiquity just prefers GPT over MBR, Ubiquity still tried to use GPT instead of MBR, even after I turned off EFI booting in the BIOS. My workaround was to zero out the second 512-byte block on the disc, essentially the primary GPT header. That forced my system into MBR mode. I created the partitions in Ubuntu, installed Natty, then installed Windows 7, then booted Ubuntu (Live USB) again, and finally ran update-grub followed by grub-install. Everything seems to work now.

One thing I really paid attention to was the SSD block alignment. I have no idea what the erase block size is, so I just made sure that the partitions start offsets are aligned on 4MB, which should be more than enough. The exception is the first partition, the Windows boot partition, which I aligned on 1MB.

Here's how I partitioned my disc, according to parted (The last partition is the swap partition):
    (parted) u b
    (parted) p
    Model: ATA SAMSUNG MZMPA128 (scsi)
    Disk /dev/sda: 128035676160B
    Sector size (logical/physical): 512B/512B
    Partition Table: msdos

Number Start End Size Type File system Flags
    1 1048576B 1069547519B 1068498944B primary ntfs boot
    2 1069547520B 31134318591B 30064771072B primary ntfs
    3 31134318592B 123480309759B 92345991168B primary ext4
    4 123480309760B 128035324415B 4555014656B primary

Currently, after having installed quite a number of Linux apps, I'm only using 21% of the ext4 partition. So, if you want to install more Windows apps, it should be fine to make the NTFS partition larger than what's shown above. Just remember to align the partitions properly for the erase block size.
    Last edited by syncopatod; May 17th, 2011 at 05:59 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatod View Post
    However, I ran into a ton of problems trying to make it dual-boot with Windows 7. The trouble is that Windows 7 does not deal with GPT whereas Ubiquity really likes to use GPT. At first, I tried to install a dual-boot configuration but everything I tried failed. grub-efi-amd64 fails to boot the Windows 7 partition. When I try to boot it from the grub menu, I get an error about "invalid EFI file path".
    FWIW, there was another thread on these forums a couple of weeks ago in which it transpired that the Ubuntu 11.04 beta was probably creating a fresh FAT-16 filesystem on the EFI System Partition. This would have the effect of rendering Windows unbootable if you'd installed it first. I don't know if this bug has carried over to the final release version, though. The immediate necessary workaround would be to install Ubuntu first and then Windows -- the exact opposite of the well-known advice for installing on BIOS-based computers! It would then be necessary to use the EFI's boot selector to boot Linux, and perhaps desirable to re-run grub-install or manually reconfigure the GRUB configuration file.
    If I've suggested a solution to a problem and you're not the original poster, do not try my solution! Problems can seem similar but be different, and a good solution to one problem can make another worse. Post a new thread with your problem details.

Page 1 of 33 12311 ... LastLast