Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Samsung series 9

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Samsung series 9

Just got my hands on mine series 9 today, and installed Natty 64 bit on it. Two fingered scrolling was working but no click and drag to move windows or right clicking, so added the modprobe fix mentioned earlier in this thread and that gave me window dragging, right click at the expense of two fingered scrolling (and presumably other gestures).

Found that the wifi took a long time to connect to my access point, I have a Samsung NC10 which connects extremely quickly in comparison. Downloading updates was painfully slow, and broadband speed tests showed a fraction of my normal speed. Tried a few things, but couldn't get adequate speed, even when sitting next to access point. Anyone got any ideas what could be going wrong - am using the restricted broadcomm STA driver.

Would love to be able to get wifi working properly as apart from that its an awesome piece of kit. Nice to have two fingered scrolling etc too. Anyone know how to simulate a middle mouse click when running the psmouse / modprobe and whether we can expect a new touchpad driver so the workaround is no longer required ?

Should also add am running Xubuntu, not clear if that would make any difference.

Cheers

Stew
    Last edited by stewdog68; May 14th, 2011 at 10:13 PM. Reason: Added Xubuntu

Beans

Any partitioning recommendations for 128GB SSD drive (Ubuntu 11.04 / win7 dualboot)?

I got this 900x3a today. Right now I'm using it from Ubuntu 11.04 live (USB) and planning to install Ubuntu. I'm not very advanced in Ubuntu installations and I would like to keep the Windows as a fall back option and for few special programmes that I need time to time.

As the SSD drive is rather small I was stopped to think what would be the best partitioning scheme for a dualboot? Especially, is the SAMSUNG_REC partition really needed, or could it be moved to some external storage.

GParted shows currently three partitions:
    /dev/sda1 - ntfs - SYSTEM - 100 MiB - boot
    /dev/sda2 - ntfs - - 97.66 GiB
    /dev/sda3 - ntfs - SAMSUNG_REC - 21.4 GiB - diag

Has anyone done a working dualboot keeping the factory installed widows on a series 9 laptop?

Beans

I shared my partition layout on the first page of this thread. If you need to install more Windows apps, then make the Windows partition larger.

Quote Originally Posted by apoikola View Post
    Any partitioning recommendations for 128GB SSD drive (Ubuntu 11.04 / win7 dualboot)?

GParted shows currently three partitions:
    /dev/sda1 - ntfs - SYSTEM - 100 MiB - boot
    /dev/sda2 - ntfs - - 97.66 GiB
    /dev/sda3 - ntfs - SAMSUNG_REC - 21.4 GiB - diag

Has anyone done a working dualboot keeping the factory installed widows on a series 9 laptop?
    Last edited by syncopatod; May 17th, 2011 at 05:56 PM.

Beans

I have a similar problem. My machine locks up, too. However, when mine locks up, even the mouse cursor is unresponsive.

Quote Originally Posted by chrisallenlane View Post
    I don't have time to properly investigate why (at the moment), but I will say this: I've been having issues with my system randomly freezing and locking me out.

When I get locked out, my cursor will continue to move, and any audio I have running in the background (usually Pandora) will continue to play. However, the mouse clicks don't seem to register, and neither do keyboard actions. Other than being able to move the mouse, I'm locked out.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quite a few people saying click to drag doesn't work. Why not double tap and drag? AFAIK that's the way you do it for buttonless trackpads, and it works fine for me.

Actually pressing down on the trackpad to 'click' then dragging works for me as well on my Series 9 in natty.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

If you're getting locked out ... completely, and don't want to power off/power on your laptop again, go into tty (CTRL+ALT+F1-F6) and type in 'sudo service gdm restart' to restart the DM. This will unfreeze it, however, you have to reopen the programs you had running with this method.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatod View Post
    I shared my partition layout on the first page of this thread. If you need to install more Windows apps, then make the Windows partition larger.
    Thanks for sharing. You left 30 GB for windows, currently my widows files and programs take 31,5... so 40 GB might be ok. My question about the windows recovery partition ( /dev/sda3 - ntfs - SAMSUNG_REC - 21.4 GiB - diag ) still remains, what should I do with that? For me that 21.4 GB sounds at the same time "waste of space" but also important to keep.

These comments from your earlier post I didn't quite understand:

Quote Originally Posted by syncopatod View Post
    Ubiquity still tried to use GPT instead of MBR, even after I turned off EFI booting in the BIOS. My workaround was to zero out the second 512-byte block on the disc, essentially the primary GPT header.

One thing I really paid attention to was the SSD block alignment. I have no idea what the erase block size is, so I just made sure that the partitions start offsets are aligned on 4MB, which should be more than enough.
    I might also prefer doing a installation with separate home partition, but that should not be problem.

Beans

I did my first trial on installing Ubuntu [fail]. Installation seemed to go well, but when it asked to restart it restarted directly to Windown, no Grub -menu :/

Beans

After typing into terminal
    sudo su
    echo options psmouse proto=exps > /etc/modprobe.d/psmouse.modprobe
    reboot
    right click seems to work, but i cannot two-finger scroll..it says that there is no touchpad detected. Could somebody please help me fix this?

Thanks
    Last edited by andddlay; May 18th, 2011 at 05:59 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by apoikola View Post
    I did my first trial on installing Ubuntu [fail]. Installation seemed to go well, but when it asked to restart it restarted directly to Windown, no Grub -menu :/
    While busy with other things I forgot about the first IMPORTANT from the beginning of this thread. Install first Ubuntu 10.10! Now I have it running smoothly and I'm thinking about to upgradde to 11.4.

Page 4 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast